Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Welcome troyer! Where in mi are you moving?
Sure enjoyed the warm weekend. Got lots done outside. I'm not finished unpacking yet. Figured that will be a winter job. So, with all this warm weather, unpacking ain't happening!
1f603.png
1f629.png

I am not really an old friend or an old poster, but after December 16th we will officially be Michigan residents. We live in PA now, but will be moving on the 16th. We are very interested in the chickenstock get togethers.

welcome to MI. and this sight, I see a few names I don't recognize, Welcome to all,
An Olive Egger rooster we plan on breeding from in 2016. Americauna x Black Copper Maran.
we
nice bird

nice legbars also

one nice thing about fewer posters on this sight, you can catch up after 4or5 days with out to much trouble.....used to have several pages per day.
do miss the old guys but glad we have so many newbees.

I'm interested in chickenstock again also, even if we can't bring chickens.

Welcome troyer! Where in mi are you moving?
Sure enjoyed the warm weekend. Got lots done outside. I'm not finished unpacking yet. Figured that will be a winter job. So, with all this warm weather, unpacking ain't happening!
1f603.png
1f629.png
We will be close to Centreville, MI. Which weekend is the chickenstock get together?

There are definitely fewer posters, it is kind of weird.

With the help of other Araucana breeders, I'm figuring out who to keep and who to sell. I think next year I will have to build a summer breeding pen to help separate off a small group of birds. I have a couple of roosters I want to use, but with one who is rather dominant, the guy with less seniority needs a bit of help.

This is my main man. With him I'll get some black split to lavender, which should be a lot of fun to work with.

Some of my blacks. A few are girls, most are extra girls. A few of these black boys will be sold.

One of my keeper blacks. He has zero red bleed, which is often problematic with males of the breed, so it is great having a boy with none!

@Stacykins are these this years birds?
Do you have to wait until first adult molt to know for sure no leakage?
If I lived closer........

@Stacykins are these this years birds?
Do you have to wait until first adult molt to know for sure no leakage?
If I lived closer........

Yes, these are all from this year. I had a moment of insanity and sold my entire Araucana flock. But the gal I sold to then sent me several batches of hatching eggs from my birds when she knew I regretted it badly. So I have a lot of my previous flock's genetics to work with.

It seems that bleed becomes very obvious in cockerels once they're getting those male feathers in their necks and backs. I've never known the leakage to come in later in the Araucana I've had, it seems once they're mature enough and free of leakage, they'll stay that way. I certainly hope to avoid leakage.

It can be hidden in hens, though. They don't show it very readily though they may be carrying it. If a hen has strong enough red leakage genetics to show it in their feathers, I definitely sell them! None this year have a trace of red, so yay!

Back
Top Bottom