Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

How come welsummers are so sought after? I see quite a few people looking for them. I'm new to chickens and feel I may be missing out on something
smile.png

Honestly i dont know the reason everyone wants them, but for me ill tell you why

I have a dutch heritage myself. My family (mom and dad) both had grandparents and great grandparents that came over from the netherlands. My wife is the same way, she has a dutch heritage as well.

From reading about welsummers (other than they look great) is that they were originally from welsum Holland, which is the netherlands.

Id like to get them simply because it would be cool to have a dutch heritage bird on a small dutch farm
thumbsup.gif

And i also like the dark eggs, beautiful feathers, and calm temperment

I happy now with my 4 buff orpingtons and 4 isa browns.....i just want some wellies!!!

Who took Sam's Welsummers?? Sam (Opa ) had to give up his chickens. He raised Welsummers. Someone out there has them. Don't know if they are hatching any, though.

Welcome to all the newcomers. Hope you can make it to our annual picnic in Lansing! Lots of fun meeting other crazy chicken people.

RaZ, hope you are out of your funk! Wish we were closer so I can help you. Our town have a community page on FB where we can find anything you want. I realize your town isn't so friendly, but can you put out a notice at the local supermarket or feed store for a pet sitter?

@PrairieFairy : we have some chicks (5 week & 1 week) - some will have the nice feather patterns you might be interested in.
Beile-Bar cockerels, Delaware that most likely has bielefelder daddy, iowa blues that are pretty too
also plenty of chantecler chix - tho they are white or buff, they are nice dual-purpose birds & cold hardy

Three new Nigerian Dwarf kids entered the world 4/27/16! Two girls and a boy. All have their father's awesome blue eyes. Plus huge milking potential. I can't wait to milk their dam, she did great last year with one kid, this year should be even better!

@PrairieFairy : we have some chicks (5 week & 1 week) - some will have the nice feather patterns you might be interested in.
Beile-Bar cockerels, Delaware that most likely has bielefelder daddy, iowa blues that are pretty too
also plenty of chantecler chix - tho they are white or buff, they are nice dual-purpose birds & cold hardy

Hi - I pm'ed. :). Enabler.

Honestly i dont know the reason everyone wants them, but for me ill tell you why

I have a dutch heritage myself. My family (mom and dad) both had grandparents and great grandparents that came over from the netherlands. My wife is the same way, she has a dutch heritage as well.

From reading about welsummers (other than they look great) is that they were originally from welsum Holland, which is the netherlands.

Id like to get them simply because it would be cool to have a dutch heritage bird on a small dutch farm :thumbsup

I happy now with my 4 buff orpingtons and 4 isa browns.....i just want some wellies!!!

I'll keep my eyes open for you! I have 2 isa brown, 2 barred rock and 2 EEs. Next year I want to add a few buff orphingtons

I'll keep my eyes open for you! I have 2 isa brown, 2 barred rock and 2 EEs. Next year I want to add a few buff orphingtons

thank you!

I may just go get 2 RIR and 2 barred rocks....only because they are local and the same age of my isa browns now....so no brooder. Welsummers are hard to find!!!

Id like to get them simply because it would be cool to have a dutch heritage bird on a small dutch farm :thumbsup

My heritage is about 97% Dutch, as is my husband's. We just recently purchased some Barnevelder chicks, which are also a Dutch breed that lay darker eggs. Not that they are necessarily any easier to find, depending on the quality you want, but they are a very pretty bird and they come in a variety of colors. Might be worth looking into if you want a Dutch breed that lays darker eggs and are having difficulty finding Wellies.

Back
Top Bottom