Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

the easiest way to do anything with rooster or chickens that are not real tame, is to wait till after dark, if you grab him by the feet and hang him upside down he will calm down and it should be easier to get him up under your arm, butt to your front so you can check his foot easier. I give all meds that have to be administered to individual birds after dark, they don't run away or jump around so much, good luck

X2 that is what I do with my AB roos they are just like wild pheasants

Is everybody enjoying the return to the cold? I'm back to "I hate this weather" but the birds don't seem to mind it. Don't have a lot to say, just wanted to jump us back up a bit.

I'm glad of the cold today because now the wet snow has locked up so it will move thru the thrower and I can get out of my driveway.

Nice thing about the cold, poo, is frozen solid and comes off the poop boards(covered with cut open feed bags) real easy
woot.gif

got a broody hen, keep taking her eggs and shoeing her out but to no avail, she keeps coming back, TOO COLD for hatching baby chicks or mamma not eating enough!!

Last edited:
Is everybody enjoying the return to the cold? I'm back to "I hate this weather" but the birds don't seem to mind it. Don't have a lot to say, just wanted to jump us back up a bit.
Its nice to have the ground frozen up again.

The garbage truck came today and they must have had a new guy in today to get our dumpster. Normally it sits just off to the corner of the driveway were the roundabout comes back around to the driveway, and then the driver would go around the roundabout to get turned around and go out the driveway. This guy today picked up the dumpster, then rolled back with it and dropped it about in the middle of where the roundabout is at. And then he proceeded to back out out of our driveway which is around 200 yards or so. Mom called them up to complain about it, and the lady there said that the driver was saying that it was too icy to put it back. Its snow packed, but not really icy. Frankly, this time of the year, why wouldn't they be sending their trucks out with at least a half bag or so of kitty litter for traction? And then the kicker here is that the bill for their services came today and they had jacked up their rates about 50 bucks a month. Pretty sure Mom is going to be looking switching companies pretty soon.

Also, just a warning here, don't take selfies with chickens. Was taking some today with my patent chicken today and I ended up dropping my phone in the sink for a little bit.

Thankfully I posted this one on facebook before I went and dropped the phone. Currently got the phone sitting in a bag or rice right now really hoping that the next day or two will pull out all of the water.

I also had a broody. Just got off the nest last week. Too hard to chase them off the nest in winter. Not outside enough to keep up with it. Not that it would make any difference at all. Find that they are going to be broody if you like it or not. If you break them, it seems they'll go broody again fairly soon. But, it also seems that once done being broody, they will go into a molt. Which mine is doing now! Really? Middle of winter. Keeping an eye on her to see how hard this molt will be. She might join my old bantams in the basement.

Have a good one, folks

Some of the past Chickenstock pictures from when I shot the events. To give you a feel for it, or remember the good times. Even one of OPA!

Hello,
I was wondering if there seems to be a market for Royal Palm turkeys here in Michigan? I have two hens, and a tom that will be producing this spring and was wondering if I should eat the eggs, or hatch them. I'm not wanting more turkeys so that's why I ask the question. Thanks for any opinions.

Jim I might be Interested depends on how far away you are from me. let us know when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom