Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I think I would get one of each if DH let me. LOL. Blasted chicken math! Actually, it's time to "retire" some of my older layers and a few roosters so they are getting replaced with some Marans, Easter Eggers, Buff and Lavender Orps, and a few others. Enough to give my coop and egg basket some variety. It's my first time ordering from a hatchery, so we'll see how that goes.
I was very please with meyer and my pet chicken. Cackle was TERRIBLE! best of luck with your new chicks!
mel

I have some various pullets coming from Meyer Hatchery this year. One of my sons really wants me to add a White Crested Black Polish to the order for him, but from what I have read, they don't tend to do well in the cold (not to mention they aren't the greatest layers and tend to have smaller eggs). Does anyone have any experience with this breed with regards to how well they tolerate Michigan winters, or anything else we should know about this breed before I let him talk me into one?
I have a flock of WCBlack polish here north of Grand Rapids. NO ISSUE with the winter.
***3 hens and a rooster lived with the laying hens all winter. NO HEAT, very drafty housing, did well. Also, had "open water" to drink from which is sort of a no-no for crested birds. Some crest picking from the laying hens, but otherwise, doing GREAT
***5 hens and several roosters in a non-drafty coop with a heat lamp on 24-7. Started laying earlier than the ones outside (all the "hens" are actually pullets hatched mid-to-late summer), then caught a cold of some sort and now aren't really laying well.

Moral of the story: Polish do fine in a MI winter, and if you "baby" them, it isn't always better for them.

I have a flock of WCBlack polish here north of Grand Rapids. NO ISSUE with the winter.
***3 hens and a rooster lived with the laying hens all winter. NO HEAT, very drafty housing, did well. Also, had "open water" to drink from which is sort of a no-no for crested birds. Some crest picking from the laying hens, but otherwise, doing GREAT
***5 hens and several roosters in a non-drafty coop with a heat lamp on 24-7. Started laying earlier than the ones outside (all the "hens" are actually pullets hatched mid-to-late summer), then caught a cold of some sort and now aren't really laying well.

Moral of the story: Polish do fine in a MI winter, and if you "baby" them, it isn't always better for them.

Thanks! Looks like I may have to add a WCBlack Polish to my order yet. Do you trim their crests back at all? Do you ever free-range them?

I had a polish and a houdan in my flock. the other birds CONSTANTLY picked out their crests, so they were perpetually bald and at the very bottom of the pecking order. Other than that I had no issues, but I felt awful that their little heads were almost always scabby and bald.

Anyone ever just go and sit with your birds? I decided to do that for a bit tonight. The one in the pictures is the friendliest of the flock. We call her 2 toes because she is missing the nail from the middle toe on each foot
I don't have much time, but I do try to sit and be with them, every day after work!

You have keyed on a very important aspect of raising chickens. Spending valuable time from chick to adult can be valuable and rewarding in many ways. I think both chickens and humans enjoy the personalization and bonding developed. There is good harmony within and a trust worthy of investing idle time with your hobby or way of living. Enjoy!

I'm getting eggs!  Lotsa eggs!  More than I can use or move on, right now.  My birds are separated into breeding groups, and after Easter I'll start saving eggs for hatching.  Belgian d'Uccle millies, EE bantams, and white Chanteclers.  Can't wait!  Meanwhile, it's hard to pass on the TSC chicks....  Mary
I still want millies but have to wait and see how many roos I end up with from the 10 bantams I got recently. My bantam coop is only 4x8 and I don't want to over crowd plus I think hubby would have a fit if I got more right now lol. I'm already building a 3x5 brooder that will probably end up in the house by the weekend because my babies are out growing their tote and it's still pretty cold up here.

Anyone ever just go and sit with your birds? I decided to do that for a bit tonight. The one in the pictures is the friendliest of the flock. We call her 2 toes because she is missing the nail from the middle toe on each foot

I spend some time with mine every night unless it's bitter cold out. It's so much fun to watch them get excited when I toss them some scratch.

I'm getting eggs! Lotsa eggs! More than I can use or move on, right now. My birds are separated into breeding groups, and after Easter I'll start saving eggs for hatching. Belgian d'Uccle millies, EE bantams, and white Chanteclers. Can't wait! Meanwhile, it's hard to pass on the TSC chicks.... Mary

They had some really nice looking silver lace Wyandotte chicks at the TSC in Mount Pleasant, I lingered there for a while but managed to make it out without any stowaways.

Back
Top Bottom