Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Chilly enough we're having a fire in the wood stove. Probably tomorrow night too.
Same here last night. Had a nice fire going before bedtime and ended up cracking the bedroom window a bit for the cold fresh air. Another frost/freeze warning forecast for tonight so another fire tonight. The wind has been coming straight off Lake Huron and is darn cold.

And that is why I don't put in a garden until Memorial Weekend at the earliest.

My buddy brought over a truck load of leaves and we noticed a fresh pile of tree trimmings at the far end of my compost heap. My tree service friend must have dropped a load while I was at work. So I ended up with a nice pile of fresh green & brown to start the season with. The pile that cooked all winter is 12' wide, 7' high, and nearly 40 ' in length. I am looking forward to turning that over in the next few days. Black gold!

After leaves we putzed with the LTD. Got the bad water pump removed with no fuss at all. I was surprised that it came out so easily. It's been on the car for 55 years. Degreased and washed the engine a couple of times and that turned out well too. Block, timing cover, and other parts still show original paint was preserved under all the grease and grime. Gotta love the little victories. :)

Chickenstock??? We're actually having it this year??? Dang, guess I should pop in here more often. Amy has been on me about maybe getting some silkies this year, and I would kinda like to get 2 pullets. Kinda thinking that I need to cull some more of my slackers and maybe go with a second batch of hens here, been stuck with store bought eggs for too long lately.
We had it last year 2022. You were MIA.

Hi Michigan friends!

My husband and I are looking at more land and wondering if anyone lives in Ray Township or Lenox/New Haven that knows what the rules are for poultry in those areas. We've tried to understand the municode library but it is tricky.

I've emailed zoning departments but haven't heard back, so thought I would try here as well. Thank you for any info!

Yesterday, they were saying low of 40 tonight, and I figured I was safe. We've been about 2 degrees above what they forecast. Now they're saying a low of 38. And I just planted the rest of my tomato plants. All 60 of them are in the ground now. And the 11 peppers too.

38 + 2 = 40, so I'm hoping they'll be safe. :fl :fl :fl

I'm going to have to remember to try the fruits of the autumn/Russian olives and see what they're like. @Swiss, can you define "pretty tasty" a little more? Sweet? Savory? Do they have seeds or a pit?

Yesterday, they were saying low of 40 tonight, and I figured I was safe. We've been about 2 degrees above what they forecast. Now they're saying a low of 38. And I just planted the rest of my tomato plants. All 60 of them are in the ground now. And the 11 peppers too.

38 + 2 = 40, so I'm hoping they'll be safe. :fl :fl :fl

I'm going to have to remember to try the fruits of the autumn/Russian olives and see what they're like. @Swiss, can you define "pretty tasty" a little more? Sweet? Savory? Do they have seeds or a pit?
They are sweet, and kind of taste like a grape. Kind of. Yes, they each have a seed that is edible. Or you can crush it and spit it out so it doesn't grow into a new plant. Some people make jam or jelly out of them, but I only learned about them last year. I haven't tried Russian olive because we don't have any. Russian olive leaves are silvery on both sides, and autumn olive leaves are only silvery on the underside, from what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom