RoseMcAfre

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Hello all, I’m a first time chick keeper here and had my first two eggs hatch out on Friday 5th. A Lavender Pekin and a Lavender Araucana. They seem to be eating and drinking ok, but the Araucana (15hrs younger still seems a bit wobblier and has a wider stance than its Pekin sister. I’m wondering if it has mild splayed leg (it was a shipped egg and none of the others made it). Just wondering if it will correct by itself or I should try and correct now? It sometimes seems more splayed than other times. Will try and add some photos to show. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 611AF9E0-7AE2-4909-BC3B-737F504483A3.jpeg
    611AF9E0-7AE2-4909-BC3B-737F504483A3.jpeg
    623.4 KB · Views: 44
  • F6C3EFEB-0D77-4B27-8C3F-A1C2A535C766.jpeg
    F6C3EFEB-0D77-4B27-8C3F-A1C2A535C766.jpeg
    925.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 5AC63944-6870-4CB3-B35F-63BB148BC779.jpeg
    5AC63944-6870-4CB3-B35F-63BB148BC779.jpeg
    719.1 KB · Views: 11
It's adorable! I think its spay leg. I would make her hobbles out of a bandaid, Vetwrap, medical tape ect. If you search 'splay leg' a lot of examples should come up.
Good luck!

Adorable I to had a mild splay legged to hatch out from shipped eggs (1st time buyer) I made a hobble but used red scruchy (I didn't realize red is a no no) other chicks started attacking. I removed the hobble and started on B complex and some Poultry Cell water. I took alittle over a week maybe 2 but it corrected itself on it's own. However it now has wry neck and I am going out my mind trying to help it. Been doing treatments for a week makes alot of progress then wham back to day 1. Good luck with your babies

It's adorable! I think its spay leg. I would make her hobbles out of a bandaid, Vetwrap, medical tape ect. If you search 'splay leg' a lot of examples should come up.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for your help. Tried a hobble earlier but he got so desperately distressed that I thought it was doing more harm than good and couldn’t keep it on more than half an hour. Weirdly that, or just getting a little older seems to have helped a bit though and he seemed more solid on its legs this afternoon. Will keep a close eye though and see how things progress.

Adorable I to had a mild splay legged to hatch out from shipped eggs (1st time buyer) I made a hobble but used red scruchy (I didn't realize red is a no no) other chicks started attacking. I removed the hobble and started on B complex and some Poultry Cell water. I took alittle over a week maybe 2 but it corrected itself on it's own. However it now has wry neck and I am going out my mind trying to help it. Been doing treatments for a week makes alot of progress then wham back to day 1. Good luck with your babies
Thank you. I used pink on my hobble. The other chick didn’t attack but the one it was on got very distressed! His legs seem a little better this afternoon. I’ll keep an eye on him though and if I need to put it back on I’ll stay away from pink or red! Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom