Minnesota!

I suppose I have to wait until Sunday night to throw out the unhatched eggs.   

Am I right to assume the hatch will be spread out beings some hatched so early?  The ones that hatched last night will have to come out of the hatcher for water tonight? tomorrow?  any thoughts...thanks

Well, these are my thoughts and you know my experience with hatching makes this less than my two cents...

When my chicks are mailed, they have typically been in transit for 2 days, but are packaged the day they hatch. I seems to me they are 3 days by the time I get them, so you could go that long.

I think the question is, would opening the bator while other chicks are pipping and drying off harm the newest hatchlings? Because you really want to give the eggs until day 23 before giving up, right?

I might consider pulling these guys out now, so it's less of an issue later. But I really have no idea as all this hatching is new to me.

Kind of a cool idea I came across was using stones as heat sinks in the bottom of the incubator - maybe you could preheat some stones and remove the chicks then add the rocks & a little more warm water to keep the temp & humidity where they need to be. This method was for the first 18 days though, when you have to hand turn the eggs (the stones stay in there the entire hatch).

There must be someone who has had to pull some chicks out during lockdown for one reason or another. I am hoping they will chime in...

(Insert smiley sipping coffee and looking expectantly at computer screen)

I suppose I have to wait until Sunday night to throw out the unhatched eggs.

Am I right to assume the hatch will be spread out beings some hatched so early? The ones that hatched last night will have to come out of the hatcher for water tonight? tomorrow? any thoughts...thanks

Well, these are my thoughts and you know my experience with hatching makes this less than my two cents...

When my chicks are mailed, they have typically been in transit for 2 days, but are packaged the day they hatch. I seems to me they are 3 days by the time I get them, so you could go that long.

I think the question is, would opening the bator while other chicks are pipping and drying off harm the newest hatchlings? Because you really want to give the eggs until day 23 before giving up, right?

I might consider pulling these guys out now, so it's less of an issue later. But I really have no idea as all this hatching is new to me.

Kind of a cool idea I came across was using stones as heat sinks in the bottom of the incubator - maybe you could preheat some stones and remove the chicks then add the rocks & a little more warm water to keep the temp & humidity where they need to be. This method was for the first 18 days though, when you have to hand turn the eggs (the stones stay in there the entire hatch).

There must be someone who has had to pull some chicks out during lockdown for one reason or another. I am hoping they will chime in...

(Insert smiley sipping coffee and looking expectantly at computer screen)
The rule of thumb, only open if you MUST during the hatch. If you do, make it quick and only open as far as you have to to get the chicks out. You can mist spray some in it before closing, but remember, drying is a cooling process if it has a fan on it. It also depends on what kind of hatching unit you use.

I have Salmon Fav bantams that start hatching on days 18-19, the rest wait until late on 20 or 21 or 22. I depends on the mood I am in as to how long I will wait for them all, and orders to fill and box and ship out too. If you must open it a lot, you are going to effect the hatch, but it is your call. I learned the hard way about being anxious the first year. I love my cabinets for the fact that they are units that quickly return to good humidity and temp. The foamies just don't do it as well, but those are the beginners and small hatcher's type and they do work with discipline and working out kinks in achieving temp and humidity properly.

The rule of thumb, only open if you MUST during the hatch. If you do, make it quick and only open as far as you have to to get the chicks out. You can mist spray some in it before closing, but remember, drying is a cooling process if it has a fan on it. It also depends on what kind of hatching unit you use.

I have Salmon Fav bantams that start hatching on days 18-19, the rest wait until late on 20 or 21 or 22. I depends on the mood I am in as to how long I will wait for them all, and orders to fill and box and ship out too. If you must open it a lot, you are going to effect the hatch, but it is your call. I learned the hard way about being anxious the first year. I love my cabinets for the fact that they are units that quickly return to good humidity and temp. The foamies just don't do it as well, but those are the beginners and small hatcher's type and they do work with discipline and working out kinks in achieving temp and humidity properly.

Thanks

I needed that..

I use the foamies.. I have thought about getting a cabinet, but I cannot justify it. I have no intentions of "really" selling chicks or needing that many chicks.

I am finding these work, if I control my impulse to help them out.

Using the two foamies I feel like a big time hatchery. Using the one as a hatcher is helping me.

It is interesting you have up to a five day variation in hatching time with all your fancy equipment... it comforts me.

I would be leery, by that I mean I would quarantine the new chicks for a few weeks. After a few weeks mix them together. When I got Ole and Ed from EJB even though I know EJB never mentioned any problems with disease I send them into quarantine for a coupe weeks then slowly added them to the flock. I just think quarantine is a prudent safe guard no matter where the birds come from. (quarantine means just that they do not get to see, touch or talk to the other birds) and when you take care of the quarantine birds you do it last being careful to not have too much direct contact. Cleaning yourself before going back to your own flock.

You really have no idea what happened to the person on FB's chicks. It might even be something they did that killed the chicks.
Thanks for the tip! So my coop is done and when the chicks are a bit older and I move them into the coop, I'll have a free metal tub to put the new chicks in for quarantine. What should I clean the tub out with before putting the new chicks in there? And how do I know when it's time to integrate them after quarantine?

Thanks for the tip! So my coop is done and when the chicks are a bit older and I move them into the coop, I'll have a free metal tub to put the new chicks in for quarantine. What should I clean the tub out with before putting the new chicks in there? And how do I know when it's time to integrate them after quarantine?

You do realize you cannot keep the two batches in the same coop, right?

I would keep the new ones in my basement or something.

I usually put them together after 2 weeks or so if no sickness has manifested itself. chicks are easier to put together than adults...

Hi everyone!

55 degrees, sunny, and VERY windy here today. Pretty lazy day here for me, took care of the chooks, cleaned the porch, cleaned a couple windows, and trying to convince myself to do some math. :sick

I got 2 EE eggs today!!! We are so excited! My DH says I cannot call them 'blue' eggs. DD says she thinks they are a 'mint' color. OK we will call them mint green eggs. DH always has to be so technical. JEESH! Whatever color they are, they are pretty and I love getting them!!

On another note, I had my first duck egg omelet yesterday. DH surprised me with duck eggs instead of chicken. I didn't even know until he told me. I guess I am no egg connoisseur.
smile.png

Scott-I am pretty sure your new hens will just follow along with what the older girls are doing. I have not had any issues with the new hens not knowing what to do. They just follow and copy the older ones. Why did you have so much troubles with your original hens not roosting at night?

Hi everyone!

55 degrees, sunny, and VERY windy here today. Pretty lazy day here for me, took care of the chooks, cleaned the porch, cleaned a couple windows, and trying to convince myself to do some math.
sickbyc.gif

Well, that sounds like something. I still haven't done my spring cleaning yet. There is just too much to do and not enough time to do it!!

Back
Top Bottom