Miscellaneous Meeps - Hatching my Dreams

I just had to bath one of my little Brahma's. How do they get that so young?
It can be the wrong temperature in the brooder or the feed. My hatch in December was on an Organic feed and I had a lot of pasty butt troubles. The hatches this year have been on Kalmback start right and maybe 3 pasty butts total. Making the feed into a mash can help too, make sure they are getting enough fluids and vitamins and that the brooder isn't too hot.

It can be the wrong temperature in the brooder or the feed. My hatch in December was on an Organic feed and I had a lot of pasty butt troubles. The hatches this year have been on Kalmback start right and maybe 3 pasty butts total. Making the feed into a mash can help too, make sure they are getting enough fluids and vitamins and that the brooder isn't too hot.
The chick's are on chick starter and I have been giving them vitamin / probiotics in their water. I'll check the heat. I took the Thermostat out to clean it, need to put it back in. Thanks

The chick's are on chick starter and I have been giving them vitamin / probiotics in their water. I'll check the heat. I took the Thermostat out to clean it, need to put it back in. Thanks
I've wondered if there is a correlation between the probiotics and pasty butt, haven't tested the theory though. It was just a thought with the last hatch when I had just a few. Maybe it changes the consistency just a little to where it sticks? Totally unproven 🤣

Whatever it is, I hope they grow out of the pasty butt stage quickly for you!

25 hatched and vaccinated! Only 2 eggs didn't hatch, one Ermine and one Fizzy. Surprisingly the silkie that I thought looked funky at lockdown, hatched a perfect little fluff ball!

Here are a few highlights!

2 silkies
View attachment 3794298
View attachment 3794306View attachment 3794305

Two of the Three Seasons! @Antiocheggers
View attachment 3794299View attachment 3794300View attachment 3794301

The third of the Three Seasons with a blue Fizzy chick
View attachment 3794302

A black silkie and a bantam
View attachment 3794304

2 blue Fizzy babies.
View attachment 3794303

We hatched 12 Fizzy chicks, 8 black and 4 blue. 😃
So darned adorable!! :love

I've wondered if there is a correlation between the probiotics and pasty butt, haven't tested the theory though. It was just a thought with the last hatch when I had just a few. Maybe it changes the consistency just a little to where it sticks? Totally unproven 🤣

Whatever it is, I hope they grow out of the pasty butt stage quickly for you!
I had one batch last summer with pasty butt issues so gave them Hydro-Hen (probiotics/electrolytes) and that cleared it up or coincidence did. Since then, I've always gave that in their water on Day 2 and again on Day 4 or 5. I'll get one pasty butt once in a while but it's rather rare.

I had one batch last summer with pasty butt issues so gave them Hydro-Hen (probiotics/electrolytes) and that cleared it up or coincidence did. Since then, I've always gave that in their water on Day 2 and again on Day 4 or 5. I'll get one pasty butt once in a while but it's rather rare.
Of the 58 chicks in the last hatch, only 3 had an issue total, I did probiotics every other day for the first two weeks. Probably not related at all. I know that hatch I was using the organic feed, I had 2 or 3 a day I was cleaning up out of 10 total chicks for about a week. :th and they are still wild :idunno or maybe they're just afraid I'll be giving them a dunk again 🤣

This little one is super cute! And insanely tiny 🧐

20240408_063410.jpg

Of the 58 chicks in the last hatch, only 3 had an issue total, I did probiotics every other day for the first two weeks. Probably not related at all. I know that hatch I was using the organic feed, I had 2 or 3 a day I was cleaning up out of 10 total chicks for about a week. :th and they are still wild :idunno or maybe they're just afraid I'll be giving them a dunk again 🤣
Ok so can we conclude that it could be the probiotics? And maybe I should cut back to every other day? I made mash for the chick's because she was packed I noticed yesterday that Thelma was having issues with her behind and when I get back home she will be getting a warm bath. I put probiotics/ vitamin in their water because I have well water and they can't free range. Also, I'm picking up 25 Braham eggs this afternoon 😋.

Back
Top Bottom