Mixed silkies or some kind of deformity? TSC assorted bantams

caninedae

Hatching
Aug 17, 2019
Maine
hello! I just signed up for an account so my apologies if this is in the wrong section or something.

last week (aug 10th) I got 4 assorted bantams from my local tsc. I asked if they knew what breed they were and all i got was an "i dunno, black silkies I think." from what I've researched, it sounds like my babies arent purebred silkies (only 4 toes, no black skin, earlobes dont look blue), which is fine. but now I'm wondering if my babies are having a problem like angel wing, or if their wing feathers are just supposed to look like this.

SmartSelect_20190817-120355_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20190817-120405_Gallery.jpg

this was when we first got them (the 10th). I assumed in the store this was just how silkies looked as babies, with their wings like that.

SmartSelect_20190817-121043_Gallery.jpg

this is how they both look now (picture Aug 16th).

for reference, I have two other chicks from the same assortment, same store, same day, all getting the exact same care, that're clearly different breeds than these two (a sebright and I believe a d'uccle), and their wing feathers look normal and flat.

SO, tldr: are my mixed bantam silkie chicks just supposed to have their wings look like this, or is there a cause for concern?

Looks like a frizzle feathered something, this is where the feathers curl outwards. Possibly a bantam Cochin. Does it have feathered legs? Frizzle-ing is normal, it’s a desired trait bred in many lines of bantams, nothing to be concerned about, unless you don’t like them.

Looks like a frizzle feathered something, this is where the feathers curl outwards. Possibly a bantam Cochin. Does it have feathered legs? Frizzle-ing is normal, it’s a desired trait bred in many lines of bantams, nothing to be concerned about, unless you don’t like them.
they do have feathered legs! interesting, I never considered cochins...

thank you for the info!

they do have feathered legs! interesting, I never considered cochins...

thank you for the info!

I’m in the UK so can’t speak on hatchery chicks being frazzled but I’ve had frizzles. They’re funny to look at and I found they had no higher maintenance than my other bantams.

Back
Top Bottom