Mother hen with chicks--should i remove the nestbasket?

ReiK

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
Philippines
Hi,

I am in confusion whether it is better to remove the basket or should i leave them be? The last egg hatched today--still not able to go out of basket to feed and drink. But planning if it is better to remove will do it tomorrow(to allow new hatched chick to dry off). They are 7chicks now and with a mother hen. I am afraid that the mother hen will crushed on chicks as i have witnessed her while walking accidentally stepped on a chick on its legs and also on its neck. I just observed and seems the chick is still fine after being stepped by the mother hen. I don't want to interfere much as it may cause more panic on the mother hen and more accidents. I just need to know if it is better without the basket already? The flooring is of a chicken green screen.

Hi,

I am in confusion whether it is better to remove the basket or should i leave them be? The last egg hatched today--still not able to go out of basket to feed and drink. But planning if it is better to remove will do it tomorrow(to allow new hatched chick to dry off). They are 7chicks now and with a mother hen. I am afraid that the mother hen will crushed on chicks as i have witnessed her while walking accidentally stepped on a chick on its legs and also on its neck. I just observed and seems the chick is still fine after being stepped by the mother hen. I don't want to interfere much as it may cause more panic on the mother hen and more accidents. I just need to know if it is better without the basket already? The flooring is of a chicken green screen.
They are in a basket?
I would definitely get her and the chicks out ASAP. She needs space to rear her brood.
I do not isolate my broodies from the flock when they are setting but they do have a "private area" they use to brood. The area has full access to the flock. She brings her brood out of the area when she is ready and keeps hens out of the area that she doesn't want in there by charging the entrance if they try to come in.
The mother will nest with her chicks on the coop floor until they are old enough for her to take them up to the roosts. I've had mothers take smaller broods up when they are 2-3 weeks old. Larger broods go up when they are older as the mother can't handle too many up on the roosts.
The entire flock should be on chick starter or Flock Raiser or All Flock with oyster shell on the side for active layers. I personally would leave the flock on this feeding method year round.

They are in a basket?
I would definitely get her and the chicks out ASAP. She needs space to rear her brood.
I do not isolate my broodies from the flock when they are setting but they do have a "private area" they use to brood. The area has full access to the flock. She brings her brood out of the area when she is ready and keeps hens out of the area that she doesn't want in there by charging the entrance if they try to come in.
The mother will nest with her chicks on the coop floor until they are old enough for her to take them up to the roosts. I've had mothers take smaller broods up when they are 2-3 weeks old. Larger broods go up when they are older as the mother can't handle too many up on the roosts.
The entire flock should be on chick starter or Flock Raiser or All Flock with oyster shell on the side for active layers. I personally would leave the flock on this feeding method year round.
The nesting box is a basket. But it is inside a cage wherein they go out and go in the basket. They are solo on the cage (only mother and chicks). But i am thinking of removing the basket tomorrow just to prevent possible injuries when they are all in the basket sleeping. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom