Mottled Lavender Questions

BRF

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2019
I recieved a group of chicks that were supposed to be lavender orpingtons but found out that the chicks where the wrong color compared to ours. Turns out they were mottled lavender orpingtons. I have 1 rooster I didn't sell and my neighbor lost here lavender rooster and we were wondering what would come from the chicks if she breed mottled lavender rooster with lavender hens?

We have not done it yet, she is looking for a larger rooster to breed her tractor supply orpingtons and all I have available is the extra lavender mottled.

You’ll get lavender. If you wanted more lavender mottled you’d need to start line breeding the resulting chicks from lav x lav mottled.

Yes you would get lavender but all the chicks would carry a mottling gene sight unseen.
All chicks produced from those would have a 50/50 chance of passing the gene on as well.
If you want mottled birds that would be a good thing. If you don't want mottled birds it will become a pain and take test breeding to figure out who carries it and who doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom