RunnerDuckMama

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2019
Isles of Scilly, UK
Hi All,

I have two relatively new female Indian Runner Ducks and was advised to let them sit on their eggs as they came from a flock with a few males. They have been sat on them for around 28 days and they started hatching today. They are in an adapted chicken coup in a large fenced area that has no roof fencing. We have a few cheeky seagulls who like to steal eggs and I am worried that they will carry off the ducklings once they leave the coup so have prepared a very large fruit cage for them to live in. This area has fencing all around including the roof. I am planning to move them by shutting and locking the door to the coup and basically picking the whole thing up and carrying it. I just would like some advice about the timing of the move as I want to do it before they leave the coup but don't want to damage their little legs or to upset the adult ducks. The duckling started appearing today in the afternoon. Would tomorrow morning be too soon to move them?

Also, I have some starter pellets on order but what should I feed them until they arrive.

Thank you so much for reading
Julie aka RunnerDuckMama

JCO34dlETQuOOQr8USYuSQ.jpg

In my experience with adult momma ducks, you'll upset them no matter what you do.

As for damaging the ducklings... unlikely. I've seen a duckling fall fifteen feet out of a loft, bounce on a concrete floor, and run around cheeping until I captured him and returned him to mum.

if all of the ducklings are hatched, just move them.

I don't think ducklings can eat pellets (mine have enough trouble with large chunks of crumble, at first.) When'll your feed arrive? And what do you have available in the meantime?

In my experience with adult momma ducks, you'll upset them no matter what you do.

As for damaging the ducklings... unlikely. I've seen a duckling fall fifteen feet out of a loft, bounce on a concrete floor, and run around cheeping until I captured him and returned him to mum.

if all of the ducklings are hatched, just move them.

I don't think ducklings can eat pellets (mine have enough trouble with large chunks of crumble, at first.) When'll your feed arrive? And what do you have available in the meantime?

Thank you so much for reading and replying :)
I have oatmeal and layer pellets and any amount of veggies and fruit

Thank you so much for reading and replying :)
I have oatmeal and layer pellets and any amount of veggies and fruit
Peas are probably the best thing you can feed, but they're not a nutritionally complete feed (way too little methionine, for start.)

I would mash peas and mix with layer pellets half and half and feed them for a very short term—I would not go above one week. Calcium is very harmful to young kidneys, and unless it's very special layer feed, it's not above sixteen percent protein. Ducklings should have at least 22% protein for the first two weeks of life.

Back
Top Bottom