Moving the Flock...

adgcountrygirl

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 5, 2011
North Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Our family has recently moved. We still own our previous home and our flock is currently still there. (We are just around the corner from our old home.) I want to build a new coop here and move our flock, but my husband says we can't because the neighbors dogs already run our cattle anywhere from a few times a day to at least 3 or 4 times a week. My argument is that our flock free-ranges and knows to watch for dogs, plus I've designed the new coop to be even more predator proof than the current one. I still see my flock every day, but it isn't the same as being able to look out the window as I wash dishes, and see my birds. :( How to convince the hubby this is not a suitable situation... ??? Thoughts and comments???

How far is that?

Is this a new situation at the new place?

The dogs that run our cattle are next door to where we live now. We moved into the family home after my father in-law passed away and we take care of my mother in-law. (She has already given her permission to build a coop.) The dogs have been a problem for over a year, but we don't want problems with our neighbors as well. :( It is less than a half mile from our old house if we cut across the pasture.

Last edited:
First I would call animal control and report your neighbor's dogs. Until they are controlled, I sadly must agree with your husband.

We are so rural, there is no animal control. We don't even have a police department. We don't want to call the Sheriff Dept. because he's friends with us and them and we don't want to put him in the middle like that. I have broached the subject with the owner of the dogs. She says they haven't had time to fix their fence or build a pen. I really miss my other neighbors. Everyone who had dogs that were not contained made sure their dogs remained on their own property by their own supervision, OR that the dog remained with the kids as they ran back and forth from their house to their cousins' or grandma's house.
The dogs next door to our new residence don't stay home even when their kids are playing outside.

UPDATE:
I talked to my neighbor that lives across the street from our old house. (She's the one that just started her first flock recently.) She has a stake in her yard that will repel dogs by sounding a high pitched tone. They are motion activated and battery powered. She told me she got them on Amazon and she has not had any dog poop in her yard since she got them. I guess I will be giving that a try. Electric fence is a no go. Our boys play with their grandkids. (Another reason we want to remain on good terms.)
Hoping the high pitch won't bother the cattle. Has anyone had experience with one of these and cattle???

I haven't had experience with one of these, BUT generally repellents of any sort won't work for long, if the reward is worth it to the animal. Poop in the neighbor's yard? Not a big deal, with the world to visit instead. Chasing prey? Much higher value reward, so repellents not as likely to work.
You don't have to apologize to these idiot neighbors at all. You are protecting your animals from the coyotes! Electric fencing is the way to go, and a very secure coop and run for your chickens.
Mary

UPDATE:
I talked to my neighbor that lives across the street from our old house. (She's the one that just started her first flock recently.) She has a stake in her yard that will repel dogs by sounding a high pitched tone. They are motion activated and battery powered. She told me she got them on Amazon and she has not had any dog poop in her yard since she got them. I guess I will be giving that a try. Electric fence is a no go. Our boys play with their grandkids. (Another reason we want to remain on good terms.)
Hoping the high pitch won't bother the cattle. Has anyone had experience with one of these and cattle???
Interesting...decent 'proof' that they work.
How long has she been using them?

Have no clue if and how they would effect the cattle.

Interesting...decent 'proof' that they work.
How long has she been using them?

Have no clue if and how they would effect the cattle.

Her chickens are in the fenced in backyard and well protected. Her front yard is where the stake is. It keeps dogs from pooping in her yard, but my mom's little dog wasn't afraid of it, so I'm guessing a bigger dog would ignore it for a free tasty chicken. I am going with hubby's advice. Our flock is happy where they can free-range in peace. My parents and brother are next door to our old house, and my other two neighbors (on the other side and directly across the street) all watch out for our property as well. If something does mess with my flock while I'm not there, someone will call me. My parents will even go take care of it first, then call!

I guess that gives me more time to design my dream coop!

Back
Top Bottom