Moving to coop question

BKirkland

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
Virginia
I've got 6 girls (2 that are 8 weeks, 2 that are 7 weeks and 2 that are 6 weeks). Coop and run construction is almost complete and we'll be ready to move them outside soon. One of my 6 week olds is still TINY and not fully feathered out like all the rest are. I'm not sure if it's because they're getting rather cramped in their brooder or if its just genetics or what. They all get along fine and no one picks on the littlest because one of the older/bigger ones looks out for her like a momma hen (even though they're only 2 weeks apart in age). My question is, when I move them to the coop, should I just go ahead and move them all even though the smallest isn't completely feathered out. I've got a heat plate that I can run a plug for and put out there, but I've taken them all off of heat completely inside and they do fine. My biggest concern with keeping her inside is that 1) she freaks out when I take all the others out of the brooder before her and hates being alone and 2) I'm afraid that if I move all the others out and wait for her to feather out more then she'll end up getting picked on when I do move her out. They all go outside on nice days to peck and forage so they are a bit more acclimated to different temps. It's been averaging in the mid to upper 60s and sometimes in the 70s where we are and nighttime is currently getting in the 50s. Any recommendations would be great. I honestly think she's so small due to lack of space now. She eats and drinks no problem and isn't forced to fight for the food they have free access to, seems completely healthy.

*updated to add pictures. The littlest is about the same age at the brown one that's laying down
20230504_183128.jpg
20230504_182742.jpg
20230504_182815.jpg
20230504_182754.jpg
20230504_183134.jpg
20230504_183155.jpg

Last edited:
keep them together use the heat plate at night 50's isnt that cold i think she will be fine especially with the big one watching out for her and they all clump together if they are cold anyway . if youre worried go out and check on them in the middle of the night :)
That's what I've been leaning towards but it truly helps to have some confirmation that my gut instinct on this is right. This is my first flock and I know there's always gonna be a learning curve.

I've got 6 girls (2 that are 8 weeks, 2 that are 7 weeks and 2 that are 6 weeks). Coop and run construction is almost complete and we'll be ready to move them outside soon. One of my 6 week olds is still TINY and not fully feathered out like all the rest are. I'm not sure if it's because they're getting rather cramped in their brooder or if its just genetics or what. They all get along fine and no one picks on the littlest because one of the older/bigger ones looks out for her like a momma hen (even though they're only 2 weeks apart in age). My question is, when I move them to the coop, should I just go ahead and move them all even though the smallest isn't completely feathered out. I've got a heat plate that I can run a plug for and put out there, but I've taken them all off of heat completely inside and they do fine. My biggest concern with keeping her inside is that 1) she freaks out when I take all the others out of the brooder before her and hates being alone and 2) I'm afraid that if I move all the others out and wait for her to feather out more then she'll end up getting picked on when I do move her out. They all go outside on nice days to peck and forage so they are a bit more acclimated to different temps. It's been averaging in the mid to upper 60s and sometimes in the 70s where we are and nighttime is currently getting in the 50s. Any recommendations would be great. I honestly think she's so small due to lack of space now. She eats and drinks no problem and isn't forced to fight for the food they have free access to, seems completely healthy.
A pic of the little one would help, but I'm guessing they will huddle at night and there is no need for worry.

*updated to add pictures. The littlest is about the same age at the brown one that's laying downView attachment 3493106View attachment 3493107View attachment 3493108View attachment 3493109View attachment 3493110View attachment 3493111
They are so perfect and precious little darlings ! The big ones are saying “ yes it’s time we want to live outside please!” 😆🥰

They are so perfect and precious little darlings ! The big ones are saying “ yes it’s time we want to live outside please!” 😆🥰
Oh I know it. Their personalities are coming in full swing now (especially my barred rock Molly) As soon as this coop is finished, they're getting evicted. The all black one (australorp mix named Stella) is the mama hen.

Back
Top Bottom