Muscovy Duck Babies

What do you mean take one from day 16? Is she still laying?
Also, do you know how to candle eggs?
Yes she is still laying. I mean tomorrow will be her 16th egg should I just start taking the newer eggs that she is laying. I have never candled an egg but I am familiar with what it is. When should I do that? I just really don’t want her to stop sitting because I’ve messed with her eggs.

Yes she is still laying. I mean tomorrow will be her 16th egg should I just start taking the newer eggs that she is laying. I have never candled an egg but I am familiar with what it is. When should I do that? I just really don’t want her to stop sitting because I’ve messed with her eggs.
I would do what @janiedoe said. Mark those eggs under her, and remove any future eggs that show up there. Are you sure she's sitting on those eggs AND laying eggs as that's really unusual. Generally, they stop laying eggs when they are broody or sitting on eggs.

I would do what @janiedoe said. Mark those eggs under her, and remove any future eggs that show up there. Are you sure she's sitting on those eggs AND laying eggs as that's really unusual. Generally, they stop laying eggs when they are broody or sitting on eggs.
Yes she is still laying. she’s only been sitting really consistently and most of the day for maybe 3 days now

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

It doesn't sound like she's full broody yet. A duck that is in for the win gets off the nest once a day and she isn't still laying eggs. The fact that she is off the nest in your picture is telling me she's not there yet. She may not go full broody either.

As suggested, mark the first batch of eggs and check the nest daily and remove any she's added. If she is getting off the nest for more than 1 hr a day, she's not incubating the eggs and I'd get rid of all of them and leave a nest of fake eggs for her if you want to try to encourage her to set.

Once a hen is ready, she will make it very clear with her behaviors. It isn't just about sitting on the nest. They will flatten themselves out over the nest and hiss at you when you try to take their unhatched children. If she is only mildly protesting when you reach under her to get eggs, she's not broody. She's just irritated that you are bothering her on the nest. There's a difference. She should also have a brood patch on her chest/belly where she's plucked the feathers out.

Hello, and welcome to BYC.
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

It doesn't sound like she's full broody yet. A duck that is in for the win gets off the nest once a day and she isn't still laying eggs. The fact that she is off the nest in your picture is telling me she's not there yet. She may not go full broody either.

As suggested, mark the first batch of eggs and check the nest daily and remove any she's added. If she is getting off the nest for more than 1 hr a day, she's not incubating the eggs and I'd get rid of all of them and leave a nest of fake eggs for her if you want to try to encourage her to set.

Once a hen is ready, she will make it very clear with her behaviors. It isn't just about sitting on the nest. They will flatten themselves out over the nest and hiss at you when you try to take their unhatched children. If she is only mildly protesting when you reach under her to get eggs, she's not broody. She's just irritated that you are bothering her on the nest. There's a difference. She should also have a brood patch on her chest/belly where she's plucked the feathers out.
Well said.

Back
Top Bottom