Muscovy ducks shivering in cold

I have the same problem living in the mountains the only flat ground we have is right around our home so all my birds are right outside of my door. Literally. Well Right off the patio but close to my door lol.
It's the sacrifice we make living in the mountains, I guess. I do wish I had flat land when my garden beds and fences and things like that move downhill with the frost heaves every winter...

My Muscovy‘s are in the pool playing 19deg out they dont care about the cold and 2 of them are only 3months old,none of my ducks care about the cold they are in there pools or in the creek all day no mater how cold it is.here are some of them playing in the snow

Attachments

• 20180308_155212_Original.jpeg
    20180308_155212_Original.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 9
My Muscovy‘s are in the pool playing 19deg out they dont care about the cold and 2 of them are only 3months old,none of my ducks care about the cold they are in there pools or in the creek all day no mater how cold it is.here are some of them playing in the snow
Your ducks are cute! But where are the Muscovies? And what's wrong with my Muscovies?! 😆

Alrighty, tomorrow I'll try putting the water bowl on the porch and I'll get some whole corn from TSC.
Both the water bowl placement and the whole corn were fails. The water got everywhere (as usual with ducks) and froze onto the door and I broke the door trying to get it to close. They were interested in the whole corn but wouldn't swallow it because it's too large and hard. What to do now? :(

Both the water bowl placement and the whole corn were fails. The water got everywhere (as usual with ducks) and froze onto the door and I broke the door trying to get it to close. They were interested in the whole corn but wouldn't swallow it because it's too large and hard. What to do now? :(
My ducks love whole corn i just don't buy it anymore becasue it is hard to find NON GMO. Did you try adding some to their feed and see if they would eat any that way?
Only suggestion I can give is to make a temp fence pen around the front of their coop so they have to stay close to their coop and you may have to clip a wing to keep them in.
I know you said you can't I just don't know what else can be done.

My ducks love whole corn i just don't buy it anymore becasue it is hard to find NON GMO. Did you try adding some to their feed and see if they would eat any that way?
Only suggestion I can give is to make a temp fence pen around the front of their coop so they have to stay close to their coop and you may have to clip a wing to keep them in.
I know you said you can't I just don't know what else can be done.
Can I soak the corn? I can tell they want it but it seems they're afraid to swallow it. They do the same thing with sunflower seeds. I'm going to try to place the water bowl a little farther out but still close to their front door and see what happens. Their wings are already clipped so they can't fly far.

Back
Top Bottom