Muscovy ducks shivering in cold

I brought them inside where it's around 40°F. I carried them and felt for their keels and they seemed like a good weight to me. There was quite a bit of padding around their keels. They must be eating something! Now I need to decide if I should deworm them just in case...

I don't think worming is necessary unless they are kept in horrid conditions which yours aren't.
True, but I didn't deworm them after I brought them home. I bought them from someone a little over 4 months ago and the pen they were raised in was all mud. I might hold off on the wormer and see if the heat mat works.

I just checked on them (they are in an XL dog crate in my basement) and they ate ALL of their food! That is pretty unusual for them. I guess that means they are much happier.
There was also a rat in there... 😠

I have just ordered the heat mat but it will take up to two weeks to get here. In the meantime I guess I'll bring them in and out depending on the weather. It's supposed to be in the 40s next week!

"Thanks! I do have power at the coop via an extension cord. How warm does it get inside your coop with that pet warmer under the straw?" Stinky Acres

At 13 watts it isn't designed to heat, though some warmers are larger and draw a higher wattage. (an electric blanket uses 100-200 watts). The instructions that come with these warmers say it's common to not feel any heat at 1st. If there's a pet or a pet bed on top of the warming pad, you should be able to feel a slight warmth with your hand after 20 minutes. In our house, kept about 73f, our cats get so warm laying on 'em, they get up and go elsewhere to cool down. Out in freezing weather, the warmers only cut down on the cold radiating from the ground and warms bellies :).

It's one possibility: if used in an enclosed coop (yep), if the temps don't get extreme (?), and if you own a small number of ducks (seems so) so they all can sleep on a large enough pad.

Great topic. Let us know if your ducks beat up that rat!

Last edited:
"Thanks! I do have power at the coop via an extension cord. How warm does it get inside your coop with that pet warmer under the straw?" Stinky Acres

At 13 watts it isn't designed to heat, though some warmers are larger and draw a higher wattage. (an electric blanket uses 100-200 watts). The instructions that come with these warmers say it's common to not feel any heat at 1st. If there's a pet or a pet bed on top of the warming pad, you should be able to feel a slight warmth with your hand after 20 minutes. In our house, kept about 73f, our cats get so warm laying on 'em, they get up and go elsewhere to cool down. Out in freezing weather, the warmers only cut down on the cold radiating from the ground and warms bellies :).

It's one possibility: if used in an enclosed coop, if the temps don't get extreme, and if you own a small number of ducks so they all can sleep on the pad.

Great topic. Let us know if your ducks beat up that rat!
I see, thanks. I do have a small enclosed coop and a small number of ducks (four).
This is what I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLHTMTCTRLV2HTMTS-Fahrenheit-Thermostat-Controller/dp/B08CKDFGKK/
I plan to either attach it to the wall or place it on top of the bedding. Do you think it would work?

Last edited:
I cannot read all the posts. my vet told me to give some (whole) barley to my ducks and geese when it is too cold. they don't like it much but I first give them barley and if hungry they eat. after barley I give them whole corn and wheat which they like. I have grass and they forage for snails, slugs, etc. so I don't feed them anything else. last february we had 4 days with snow and cold and I lost 1 6mo muscovy duck. she wasn't fat and obviously could not stand that much cold.

It won't work on the wall. The heat it'll put out will be insignificant and be useful only if it's trapped via the pet/duck laying on it. You will want your duck warmer covered with straw or shavings, so they won't get burned on a hot spot. Is it fire and pet safe? The ones designed for pets have their warmth spread out over a greater area, generally don't have hot spots, and are safer if intended for outdoors. I'd be concerned with an electric device around flammable bedding and a wood coop. If ordered thru Amazon, you can go in and change your order.

Last edited:
It won't work on the wall. The heat it'll put out will be insignificant and be useful only if it's trapped via the pet/duck laying on it. You will want your duck warmer covered with straw or shavings, so they won't get burned on a hot spot. Is it fire safe? The ones designed for pets have their warmth spread out over a greater area, generally don't have hot spots, and are safer if intended for outdoors. I'd be concerned with an electric device around flammable bedding and a wood coop. If ordered thru Amazon, you can go in and change your order.
Oh, okay, thanks! I'll look for a different one.

I cannot read all the posts. my vet told me to give some (whole) barley to my ducks and geese when it is too cold. they don't like it much but I first give them barley and if hungry they eat. after barley I give them whole corn and wheat which they like. I have grass and they forage for snails, slugs, etc. so I don't feed them anything else. last february we had 4 days with snow and cold and I lost 1 6mo muscovy duck. she wasn't fat and obviously could not stand that much cold.
very sorry you lost one.

Back
Top Bottom