My coop design and build blog

We started early and worked till it was closed in before the storm hits. There is still a lot to do but at least its shielded from the snow and winds we are expecting. The low temps will freeze up the ground again so we can stay on top rather than sinking 4 inches down.

The mud makes every step a real hassle. You cant just walk if you have been in one position for a few minutes. You have to stop an free your feet first.

I can easily solve the mud problem after all the frost is out of the ground in spring. Lots of fill and crushed rock.
closed2.jpg
closed3.jpg
closed4.jpg
closed5.jpg
closed6.jpg
closed8.jpg
closed9.jpg
closed91.jpg
closed92.jpg
closed1.jpg

Attachments

• closed4.jpg
    closed4.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 7
  • closed5.jpg
    closed5.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 6
  • closed3.jpg
    closed3.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 6
Nearly 50 years ago we built a chicken coop on the farm. Before that, we used the old barn for chickens. I helped build it and begged my dad to let me paint it.

I dont know if we ran out of paint or I ran out of ambition but there is not much of that old coop left. The large chicken run was removed decades ago. We would raise 100 birds (meat and layers) each year.

We visited my parents today and I took some pictures of that old coop.
old coop1.jpg
old coop2.jpg
old barn 2.jpg
old barn1.jpg

IMG_7228.JPG
IMG_7230.JPG
IMG_7231.JPG
IMG_7232.JPG
IMG_7233.JPG
IMG_7234.JPG
I stood in the mud and did some exterior work on the coop today. Handles, latches, dead bolts, hinges, etc, Then some caulking and more paint. The exterior is now weatherproofed.

I know there is a metal piece I could have bought to rain-proof the metal roofing where it meets the wall but thats a 40 mile round trip into town so I did it with cedar and calk.

Now I can start working on the interior.

Back
Top Bottom