My First (and 2nd) adopt and egg hatch-a-long of the year

Pics

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
This is a bit early but I am so excited and need a place to count down and talk (obsess) about it. I am doing a test hatch for someone to check their fertility. She will be shipping me eggs next Tue or Wed so hopefully I will get them Thurs or Fri and set them the end of next week. Those will be Cochin eggs.

Then I ordered eggs from someone that will be shipped March 4th and I will be setting them March 7th (I will probably get them on the 5th but a friend is also ordering eggs and they will be shipped the same day but she probably wont' get hers till the 6th so we are setting them together. :) ) those breeds will be Salmon Faverolles, Lavender Ameraucana, Chocolate Emerald (the breeders own breed that is auto sexing at hatch and lay green eggs), and Lemon Owlbeard!!!! I am beyond excited for the Lemon Owlbeard!!!!!!!!!

So figured I would start up this hatch-a-long so I have somewhere to obsess until they come and also once I set them! :) I will post numbers etc. once I get the eggs O people can adopt and egg if they would like.

@MochaLatte

This hatch is NOT going well at all........ So I checked my eggs a couple days ago and it looked like a bunch quit. but figured I would give it a bit and see. Checked all of them today and yup. I removed 6 from my NR360 and think I have another 5-6 that have quit but give them time just in case....... I normally don't have issue with my 360 so not sure if my flock??? (these are my last year girls that I hatched) or what is going on. but some of the Cochins quit too (but they were stuck in the mail from Fri-Wed so that could have been from that but odd they were all in the 360.........) Only 3 from my flock out of 10 are still going..... and think 3 out of the Cochins (from 6 that were starting)

checked the other eggs and alot of those looked good. I think a couple may have quit. some I could see veins but didn't see a baby moving... but they have saddled air cells so that could have been why plus those are on day 7 and it seems most times on day 7 I don't see anything and think they all died and then they are back the next time so who knows. LMAO!

Will mark the ones that I know for sure have quit or almost positive have quit. Then ones that people have claimed that I saw a baby moving in there so know they are good. Thinking most of the other eggs (SF, lavender ameraucana, Lemon Owlbeards, and Chocolate Emeralds) will be hanging out until they just don't hatch. LOL

But.......

#4 @Iluveggers I am almost positive has quit
#18 @Ilovemychicks08 almost positive has quit
#51 @Iluveggers almost positive has quit

now good news....

#3 @Iluveggers looks very healthy so far
#5 @Auntiejessi3 was dancing all over looking good
#15 @CloneFly looks good
#40 @Auntiejessi3 looks good
#42 @CloneFly looks good
#48 @Ilovemychicks08 I could see a baby in moving around

the Lemon Owlbeards 3 or 4 I think it was I saw babies dancing around and think it was 3 or 4 I saw veins but didn't see a baby I don't think, but THINK 7/8 of those are still good.

the Chocolate Emeralds that I checked looked good but I didn't check all.

I could see a few babies in the SF moving around (well some babies some just a shadow) and some I still couldn't see in.

I think 3/4 Lavender Ameraucana's were good still.

both OE I think quit.

Guess I see how this hatch goes, how many hatch and if I am able to sell what I need to as a straight run and maybe set more of my eggs and see how they do...... But don't want them too far behind these babies, unless I am able to sell them fast since I would just sell the next ones

I'll be following! Just curious, what do Lemon Owlbeard chickens look like? I think I've heard the name before, but never seen one.
They are so cool looking!!!! I have never heard of them till this year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240213-160433.png
    Screenshot_20240213-160433.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240212-204913.png
    Screenshot_20240212-204913.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Ok.... So I have 51 eggs in incubators!!!!! I need HA!!!!!(Hatchers Anonymous).......

Tag anyone that like adopt an egg hatch a lings since there will, hopefully, be lots of babies to choose.

A pic of my sheet. Lol

The # that have names are from my flock and the hens name.

Lemon = lemon Owlbeard
CE = chocolate Emerald
LA = Lavender Ameraucana
SF = Salmon Faverolles
OE = olive egger

Feel free to pick now or wait till after I candle on Sun
You do need help!🤣

Lemon Owlbeard! That's so interesting!

I'll take an Owlbeard if there's one left.

How about a Salmon Faverolles too😊

ok. Candling did not go well. I couldn't see in the SF so wasn't sure on those. The Lemon Owlbeards I think most were no or maybe quit as I saw a red "spot" but didn't look like a baby. One had a baby. all the Chocolate Emeralds were good. the Lavender Ameraucanas 2 were good 2 I wasn't sure. the OE are both ?

so will put the # that I know for sure are good (including mine and the Cochin eggs as well). the rest I will leave off for now but I left them in (besides the cochins I know where a no) and hoping they are just slower!

Mine I will put what the hen was that laid them. The roo's are either blue Cochin or splash Cochin
Hatch date March 24
3- blue Ameraucana. @Iluveggers
4 - blue EE/Cochin mix. @Iluveggers
5- splash EE/Cochin mix
6- CCL
7- Splash Ameraucana
8- Splash Ameraucana
9- Splash Ameraucana @CloneFly

Hatch Date: March 27
Cochins
15 @CloneFly

Hatch Date: March 28

- Lemon Owlbeard
31- Lemon Owlbeard---- @fluffycrow
33 - Chocolate Emerald (CE)
34- CE
35- CE
36- CE
37- CE
38- CE
39- Lavender Ameraucana
40- Lavender Ameraucana @Auntiejessi3

49- Salmon Faverolle (believe I could see this one clearly)

53- Blue Ameraucana
54- CCL
55- CCL

@Auntiejessi3 @Ilovemychicks08 @Wyorp Rock @Iluveggers @CloneFly @Tumbleweedlynn

Wyorp Rock and Ilovemychicks08. I think maybe I saw something in your SF eggs, but not sure.

Last edited:
so my new incubator is cooler around the edges and warmer in the middle part so I tried to put the lemon owlbeards more in the middle. but my thermometer was on one row with the Chocolate Emeralds, which all had development. So when I put them back in the incubator after candling I put the Owlbeards in those spots hoping maybe it was slower development because of cooler spots.........

Well not only do I have a hatching problem but also a candling. I don't know what made me do it but I took a couple of them that were marked NO? and Quitter? and went to my dark bathroom and checked and I saw babies!!!!!!! so thinking maybe this one runs slightly cool so it is slightly off. the quitter I thought was because I only saw 1 little red line nothing else, so maybe just starting to develop?

going to hold off hopefully until tomorrow to check them all again but a bit more hopeful now.

Ok did a full candling today. will put all the good ones. If I pulled any or think they quit and someone had claimed them I will write them below.

Day 14:

3- Kahlua (Blue Ameraucana)- @Iluveggers
5- Sunrise (EE/Cochin mix) Margarita- @Auntiejessi3

Day 11 Cochins

15- @CloneFly
- @Ilovemychicks08

Day 10

- Lemon Owlbeard
- Lemon Owlbeard- @Wyorp Rock
28- Lemon Owlbeard- @HorseGirlAbby
29- Lemon Owlbeard
- Lemon Owlbeard- @Ilovemychicks08
31- Lemon Owlbeard- @fluffycrow
32- Lemon Owlbeard

- Chocolate Emerald
- Chocolate Emerald
- Chocolate Emerald
- Chocolate Emerald
- Chocolate Emerald
- Chocolate Emerald

- Lavender Ameraucana
- Lavender Ameraucana- @Auntiejessi3
42- Lavender Ameraucana- @CloneFly

43- SF
- SF
- SF
- SF - @Ilovemychicks08
49- SF

- Kahlua (blue Ameraucana)

Quitters:

#4 @Iluveggers
#51 @Iluveggers
#41 @Iluveggers

so the Cochins I didn't have much luck with but sure being stuck in the mail for 5/6 days didn't help! so got 15 I didn't set 4. so set 11 of them. 4/11 are still going ( 3 quit the rest were clear)

7/8 Owlbeards the last one was clear.
6/6 Chocolate Emeralds
3/4 Lavender Ameraucana
5/8 SF (think 2 quit and 1 clear) which isn't bad since she was getting 50/50 fertility so sent me a few extras.
0/2 OE which stinks but those were the free ones.

so not bad for shipped eggs.

Hopefully in 11 days or so I will have 28 baby chicks!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom