My project chicks

Do you have any adults with mottling?
Just speckled sussex as for the adults they barely have mottling it always molts out for the last 4 years heres the rooster taken today
20240325_131352.jpg

Just speckled sussex as for the adults they barely have mottling it always molts out for the last 4 years heres the rooster taken today View attachment 3781813
I guess just poor quality mottling to start with. Usually with mottled birds it shows up as juveniles, almost disappears and in the first or second adult molt it comes back. I have a hen that was solid black for three years, but produced mottled chicks. Last fall when she molted some white feather tips started appearing, I also have a 2023 pullet that was solid black until this spring, she also started getting some white tipped feathers. I suppose there are multiple reasons on why it behaves the way it does.

I guess just poor quality mottling to start with. Usually with mottled birds it shows up as juveniles, almost disappears and in the first or second adult molt it comes back. I have a hen that was solid black for three years, but produced mottled chicks. Last fall when she molted some white feather tips started appearing, I also have a 2023 pullet that was solid black until this spring, she also started getting some white tipped feathers. I suppose there are multiple reasons on why it behaves the way it does.
The speckled sussex with the most white is the hen I used originally in 2020
20240324_112230.jpg

Just speckled sussex as for the adults they barely have mottling it always molts out for the last 4 years heres the rooster taken today
When you hatch chicks, do they all have mottling when young? Or are you getting some with mottling and some without?

I'm wondering whether you are dealing with birds that are pure for the mottling gene but are not expressing it very much, or whether you have some birds with one mottling gene or no mottling genes.

When you hatch chicks, do they all have mottling when young? Or are you getting some with mottling and some without?

I'm wondering whether you are dealing with birds that are pure for the mottling gene but are not expressing it very much, or whether you have some birds with one mottling gene or no mottling genes.
They all start off mottled then lose it and never get it back after molt

Back
Top Bottom