My rooster is being aggressive towards me for no apparent reason?

You don't sound like you have a lot of experience with aggressive roosters so cull him right away. You won't change an aggressive rooster of an aggressive breed this late in the game.
Yes I don't have alot of experience with them. It's looking that way there's no other way huh this was just the first it's happening good thing I inquired straight away.

Not necessarily, it's more about certain genetic and personality than care, some do fine with that treatment, some do worse.
That makes alot of sense this guy was always alott different from his brother. The more I'm thinking about this the more I feel like I should've seen this coming or maybe I'm on to nothing but I just never thought about it since he's 15months old now and that faze when their rooster personality starts to appear was past us so he'll be a nice rooster had been my thought.

We've had cockerels and adult roosters for decades, and in our experience, nothing really 'fixes' a cockerel or adult who decides that attacking humans is a good idea. Our first rooster was awful, and we put up with him way too long. Then, we tried everything to 'reform' human aggression, and failed.
Idiots attacking the humans who bring food every day just aren't worth keeping, and are dangerous. This bird does not 'love' you, his little brain is in a different place. There are many nice roosters out there, try again and have a good boy next time.
You are getting that experience, recognizing early signs of obnoxious behaviors and how things can escalate from 'cute' to awful.
Mary

We've had cockerels and adult roosters for decades, and in our experience, nothing really 'fixes' a cockerel or adult who decides that attacking humans is a good idea. Our first rooster was awful, and we put up with him way too long. Then, we tried everything to 'reform' human aggression, and failed.
Idiots attacking the humans who bring food every day just aren't worth keeping, and are dangerous. This bird does not 'love' you, his little brain is in a different place. There are many nice roosters out there, try again and have a good boy next time.
You are getting that experience, recognizing early signs of obnoxious behaviors and how things can escalate from 'cute' to awful.
Mary
I see to be fair he hasn't attacked me since idk what's happened but as of right now me and him don't have beef maybe he read this thread 🤷, but I have like disassociated with him alot now if that makes sense, so if he turned aggressive I wouldn't hesitate to get rid of him. All the replies reminded me of a really aggressive rooster we used to have and I have no interest in putting myself and anyone else through that again.

Last edited:
@Shadrach's article is excellent, but doesn't apply to many backyard flock keepers here. By all means read it though! Space available, handling methods, visitors/ children involved, and liability issues, not to mention the genetics of his flock, compared to what we may have here.
When breeders select against human aggression it matters, and not everyone does.
Mary

I wouldn't give up on him, though it may take 6 months for him to adapt.

I had a #2 rooster, a Brahma, that was "promoted" when the #1 (a Bantam) was killed by a hawk/ falcon.

From that point on, he started attacking me, when I came near the hens. Not casually, serious and semi-entertaining - enough to make me bleed, with cuts on my leg. So I made a bunch of "Kung Fu Roo" slow motion videos & some of them were pretty good.

Sometimes I picked him up and walked around with him upside down. This seemed to slow him down.

After about 9 months he stopped attacking me. He may have been sick at that point, not sure if there was a connection.

He developed a problem with his crop, and died indoors with us humans.

Then one of his sons, probably a Brahma-Americauna cross, became #1 rooster.

Back
Top Bottom