My rooster is sick, acts narcoleptic. Extremely tired and constantly sleeping. I need help!

Anne Katherine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 19, 2014
I have a Cubalayan rooster who is about a year and a half old. Today when I went to feed the flock, I noticed he didn't come out but stayed on his perch. When I put some food down on the ground to coax him off he seemed only mildly interested. I lifted him down to the ground and while he was freaked out about me picking him up, (he is pretty skittish) he wasn't able to resist. When he was down on the ground he immediately lost his balance and started stumbling around like he was drunk. He made it into one of our lower nesting boxes and carefully stood upright in there.

I came inside to do some research (still not confident of what is possibly going on) and when I went back out he was lying down. I decided to bring him inside but it was harder to catch him this time as he was able to hide behind things in the coop and had enough control of his balance at this point to keep upright. You could tell it was an effort for him though. I brought him inside and after getting him in a box, which he resisted, I gave him some food and water. That is when I noticed the other weird symptom, he would get really excited/anxious whenever I reached my hand in to put in the food, water or do anything. He would freak out, turn around or back up in effort to get as far away as possible and then suddenly fall asleep. After noticing this I started watching for it and would see that he would stand there looking around and then his head would drop down and he would fall asleep. (I also noticed he is carrying himself very rigidly, not sure if it is in effort to maintain his balance or what.)

That being said, does anyone have any idea how I can help him or what is going on? If you have any questions about other signs or his health in general let me know and I will give you whatever information about his history that I can. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what to do asap so we can save him. Thanks!!!

Also thought I would add that he has a minor cut on his waddle, nothing too serious, he has had worse. His eyes seem to be dilated as well.

One more thing, he just pooped and it looked like milk. White and watery and a bit mucus like too. Please help me!

Thank you so much, that was extremely helpful. I am not sure whether it is Mareks or not (still doing some research on rickets) but the one thing that wasn't clear to me was if it is, can he survive? I read that there are preventions for Mareks but no cures, does that mean that it is guarenteed death? If so, would it be right away or is it a long term thing like cancer? And lastly, is it very painful for the chicken?

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help and will continue researching to try to understand his problem. Have a great day!

Last edited:
Thank you so much, that was extremely helpful.  I am not sure whether it is Mareks or not (still doing some research on rickets) but the one thing that wasn't clear to me was if it is, can he survive?  I read that there are preventions for Mareks but no cures, does that mean that it is guarenteed death?  If so, would it be right away or is it a long term thing like cancer?  And lastly, is it very painful for the chicken?

Thanks again!  I really appreciate your help and will continue researching to try to understand his problem.  Have a great day!

Well that depends on how strong he is, his immunity, that is. Most do pass away, but some survive, and go on to be carriers. There is no cure, but there is a vaccination to help out young chicks.

It's like cancer, I guess you could say, lifelong. But they can recover from episodes to go on and still live a life... It can infect the rest of the flock though, and I personally cull if they get diseases that are contagious, it means they're not resistant to it. Some breeds are more resistant than others. The stronger survive-type rationale..

Pain...well, they don't quite feel pain like we do, at least, they don't show it anyway... I'm not sure if it hurts or not, quite honestly :(

Another member with experience on long term Marek's care can sure chime in ;)

Last edited:
Poor rooster, I hope then that its not Mareks. That makes sense, but sadly that means if he does have it all our other hens have it already. :-[ I just pray that isn't what he has.

An update on his health, stumbling seems to be less of an issue, when he walks he does so very slowly and deliberately but no stumbling. He sleeps constantly though. He hardly drank yesterday, just slept all day. The only time he got anything was when I dipped his beak in the water a few times to make him aware that there was water available. I am wondering if I misdiagnosed the symptoms yesterday somewhat. It seems like the bigger issue is his constant sleeping, which I think was causing the stumbling because, hey, I think I would be pretty dizzy too if I was sick and tired and someone put me on the floor. :)

Another update, his eyes are always closed, even when I give him water. The one time he opened them was when I moved him, then they closed again. He seems feisty when I pick him up but them drifts off to sleep. His seems to be losing some feathers too. I gave him some colloidal silver and molasses. Please let me know if you have input and thank you for the help already offered!

He has drunk only a few times today and that was only when we dipped his beak in. He has gotten colloidal silver, molasses and apple cider vinegar in his water. If he will eat I am hoping to try some cinnamon to help with his loose stools. Once we dip his beak he will drink once, maybe twice, and then fall back asleep. His stomach (I think) is making gurgling noises whenever he drinks. I haven't seen him eat. For the 20-30 seconds he is awake between naps he seems healthy, alert and in general normal. If he is awake he panics whenever I hold him, (which is normal for him), but then he quickly falls asleep. If he is already asleep he usually stays that way. One thing though, it isn't clear to me whether he is actually asleep or closing his eyes, since most of the times he drinks he is "sleeping". His behavior is really weird and if I wasn't worried for his health it might not be that big of an issue. The fact that it is so abnormal for him considering his general feistiness and that I can't seem to put my finger on any clear symptoms except for the fact that something is wrong is worrying. Again, please, if there is anyone who can help me, even just a guess or suggestion, or maybe even pass this on to someone who can help, I would be soooo grateful. We have lost so many of our poultry this year to a combination of fox and hawk (if you haven't had experience with either of them before, together they are almost impossible to stop) and I really, really don't want to lose another one. Honestly, if I could get some posts just to bump it up in the new posts viewing area so more people would see it that would be wonderful. His condition is also hazardous because we have three hens with clutches right now and the chicks and keets may not be immune. I separated him but want to make sure that I can protect them as well. Any questions you have or anything, just please let me know so I can make some headway in understanding and helping him with whatever is going on.

Good night and God bless!

Last edited:
I would get him to a vet ASAP... He's not eating or drinking, and his "sleeping" could easily be dehydration or shock :(

The broods are concerning, but the situation with the rooster is actually helping you answer some questions... With the rooster showing symptoms, it means that he isn't immune... But if you haven't seen it in the hens, they might have resistance, which the chicks will get from both genes, and from building immunity through exposure to moms poo... So it COULD help with your overall flock resistance in the long run, but you might have to cull a few in the process :(

Without a definite diagnosis, I can't tell you what to do.... You've been attempting to get nutrients in him...electrolytes too?

Testing would give you a better chance at helping him, though. It may even be a toxin, but I always choose to err on the side of caution and assume the worst until I find better options... I feel bad for not being able to help more :(

Calling for help? :)

@azygous

@seminolewind

@TwoCrows

You could try starting a new thread with Marek's in the title, too... It might catch more attention...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom