My roosters injured a hawk what do I do?

ohh, yes diatomaceous earth. No it is not the same with DE meaning you can definitely eat eggs after using it. Actually some people drink small amounts of food grade DE for its health benefits. Diatomaceous earth is the fossilized remains of microscopic algae. It kills bugs by dehydrating it and cutting them up. It's also very useful for cleaning like a magic eraser. I use it all the time.

ohh, yes diatomaceous earth. No it is not the same with DE meaning you can definitely eat eggs after using it. Actually some people drink small amounts of food grade DE for its health benefits. Diatomaceous earth is the fossilized remains of microscopic algae. It kills bugs by dehydrating it and cutting them up. It's also very useful for cleaning like a magic eraser. I use it all the time.
DE is barely mediocre for pest control , causes respiratory issues in people and especially birds and is horrible for the environment.

The hen that got attacked is ok. They are all looking very proud of their selves. The hawk died right before I called. So I decided to just take it and put it down in the woods far away from the chicken run so I wouldn't attract any creatures. I guess some animal will have a meal tonight. Anyway when I went outside and saw that it was dead I noticed that it was COVERED in mites! They where climbing all over it I didn't notice them when it was alive so I guess that when it died they realized that they had to find a live animal to live on. I'm worried though what if they spread to my chickens. I'm not sure how long it was laying there dead. What should I do to help insure that my chickens don't get the mites?
Permethrine poultry dust is fine, clean out the coop, treat the coop and the birds and get all new bedding and litter.
And just another tip. STOP USING SEVIN DUST ON CHICKENS. if you use sevin dust on chickens you can never eat their eggs again. It is poisonous to humans no matter what people try to say about it being it's not. It is illegal to use in other countries. And has been known to cause heath problems for both humans and animals alike.
Can you provide your sources on this?

Thank you!!!!

Permethrine poultry dust is fine, clean out the coop, treat the coop and the birds and get all new bedding and litter.

Can you provide your sources on this?
Sorry couldn't find a way to share this don't know if you read this picture or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240315_214802_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240315_214802_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 32
De is strip mined, look it up. Not good! And it's a poor insecticide, and bad to inhale. Not worth using, IMO. Sevin (carbaryl) is an insecticide that's no longer approved for use on poultry in the USA. Just don't use it.
Here we use permethrin spray, if possible, or the dust, if it's just too cold outside. And those miserable house wrens and sparrows do invade our coop often, bringing those mites.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom