My search for my perfect breed

millbrookfarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 16, 2014
Oklahoma
Ok y'all I'm on a search for my perfect chicken breed and I'm not sure it exists. I'm hoping that I can get help from multiple threads here.

Here is what I'm looking for:

Multicolored (something like an Icelandic)
Meat build (8-10lbs)
200-250 eggs per year

Any thoughts?

I agree with your list, that would be a very popular breed if we could find it . . .
I might add:
rose or pea comb for winter hardiness
no or minimal foot feathering so they don't get nasty with mud
not prone to broodiness
gentle demeanor

You might not find a single breed with everything you want. High egg production is likely the hardest to find and keep. I would look at Bielefelders to see if they are close to your requirements. Maybe if you crossed them with something colorful like Swedish Flower Hens . . .

I agree with your list, that would be a very popular breed if we could find it . . .
I might add:
rose or pea comb for winter hardiness
no or minimal foot feathering so they don't get nasty with mud
not prone to broodiness
gentle demeanor

You might not find a single breed with everything you want. High egg production is likely the hardest to find and keep. I would look at Bielefelders to see if they are close to your requirements. Maybe if you crossed them with something colorful like Swedish Flower Hens . . .

I thought that would be the basic of what I want. I would love to through in auto sexing, but with my limited understanding of the genetics behind it, I don't think it would be possible for the colors to be as random as I'm wanting and still be auto sexing.

I would totally add your list to mine. I'm starting to think I might have to crossbreed to get what I am wanting.

Plymouth Rock or Orpington would be close to fitting your needs. These are 200 plus eggs per year birds and are a heavy breed, good dual purpose. The more colorful Partridge and I think Silver Penciled Rocks have a higher tendency to going broody so if not broken in cages quickly will result in less eggs.

Orpington is a fluffier English version of the Plymouth Rock and both come in a multitude of varieties. Another colorful good dual purpose bird is Speckled Sussex. Though will be about 1.5 lbs less mature weight.

ETA: random color? Are you wanting a breed that has multiple colors? If that's the case then go with a blue variety. Plymouth and Orpington both come in blue variety. With this you get black, splash and blue colors for diversity in one breed. Most blue color varieties have lost the lacing over the years. Not up to standard and this is particularly true of the Orpington and Plymouth. Look at a standard bred Andalusion and you'll see the difference of lacing.

Last edited:
I'm thinking something like a landrace chicken with no set patterns or "standard" colors. Its hard to explain.

I do like your line of thinking though. I'm attracted to blue colored birds anyways and thought that would be a good start.

How about starting with a good mix of Wyandottes? Nice rose comb, clean legs, good winter layer, wonderful eye candy, gentle demeanor. You could let them cross to see what you end up with as far as colors go. I think that GLW over SLW will give you a sex linked chick.

I have thought about going with something like the Wyandotte or orpington and just mixing up the colors to see what happens. I thought though most of these breeds were mainly bred for exhibition.

Back
Top Bottom