Mysterious death of month old chick

cecimich

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2018
I'm not sure what I'm looking for - maybe reassurance? I got 4 chicks from a local breeder and one was sleepy and slow for the first week, but ate and drank plenty and was sometimes energetic. I kept an eye on her and she's been totally normal for the past 2-3 weeks. This week I've been putting their brooder on my back porch since it's warm enough (Florida) and they like looking out the screened window. Yesterday when I came home from work the sleepy one was dead. She was wet, which may be weird, except they knocked over their water at some point, so that could be the reason. I have a crazy idea that a snake got in and tried to swallow her, realized it couldn't get back out (too big to fit through the wire) and then regurgitated her and left. That's crazy, right? Besides just randomly dying, I can't figure out what happened and it's really bothering me. Any insight? Or reassurance? I'm so worried I did something wrong.

I don't think that is a crazy guess. I've heard of plenty of snakes who were overly optimistic about what they could swallow... I'm so sorry about the chick :(

Back
Top Bottom