Naked Necks - Standard Heritage Large Fowl

Vamvakas

Songster
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
North Branford, CT
A lot of people may have a Naked Neck in there flock just to try out for fun.. I am looking for the Naked Neck breeders who take it to the next level and breed for Standard of Perfection. This is very rare breed in America to bring to a show but we need to turn the tides and show the great beauty of true Naked Necks.

Quote:
I have a question. Aren't the APA red color actually the lighter red with black tails? Until now the lighter red have been all that I've seen.

Last edited:
A lot of people may have a Naked Neck in there flock just to try out for fun.. I am looking for the Naked Neck breeders who take it to the next level and breed for Standard of Perfection. This is very rare breed in America to bring to a show but we need to turn the tides and show the great beauty of true Naked Necks.
Do you mind posting in your introduction the SOP for Turkens? I think it will make it an easy way to access the information when needing to refer to it.
big_smile.png

I have a black pullet from Ideal that might end up close to SOP. Thinking back on it, I think a lot of the pullets from Ideal might have met standard, but I only kept one. The hens from last year, and suspected cockerel from this year, from Cackle all have slate legs, including the reds. I'm interested to see how hard it might be to get back to the lighter legs, it might not be worth it with the red girl I have.

I have a question. Aren't the APA red color actually the lighter red with black tails? Until now the lighter red have been all that I've seen.
My red NN flock comes from a old school poultry judge/master breeder. Yes, they do have black tails, pic isn't greatest quality. You only seen light red cause most people just bring a random NN from a hatchery and show it cause there's most likely no other competition and win best breed almost instantly.

Thanks Dipsie Doodle Doo! I am actually familiar with the SOP, but I was wondering if that is what people were really seeing with their birds, especially since the OP mentioned that true breeders were rather rare. I am currently beginning to work with red dorkings (just going into my second year with them) and one of the big issues with the breed as a whole is that they tend to be under-sized due to the neglect the breed has suffered over the years. So, I was wondering how the naked necks were doing in that department. :)

Back
Top Bottom