Need coup buying advice

Look on Craig's list for old sheds. For a couple hundred bucks you could turn it into a good coop.

My next coop (chicken math got me) will be made with slab wood. I can get that fairly cheaply. Made a wood shed this fall using it and construction was quick. For a coop, I will need to run the slabs down the table saw to make the edges straight so they butt up together, but sure will be less expensive than new lumber.

This is the shed mid construction. All these slabs were free. The coop will be similar style. Ventilation will be easy. It will be like they have a little log cabin.

20201016_175421.jpg

No expert by any means, but I built my own roughly a year ago. I have friends in the area that bought a TSC pre-made coops. 2/3 are already looking at having to replace it with in a year. they didn’t stand up to the amount of rain we have gotten this year. The wood is falling apart, and warping. So as much as it hurts,buy the lumber!!

I’ll have to quote @aart here for a minute.

“Do it the first time, build it big enough to be safe and secure for all the birds, don’t go cheap, it will cost more and kill your birds”

that’s close to what Aart told me a year ago.

Best Overall:
Snap Lock Formex Large Chicken Coop at Amazon
"Easy to assemble, weather-resistant, and a safe place for your hens."
Best Starter:
Tucker Murphy Pet Hawkes Multi-Level Chicken Coop at Wayfair
"Between its interior sleep space and exterior run, the two-door, two-level coop offers 8 square feet for chickens to roam."
Best Multi-Level:
Archie & Oscar Freddy Chicken Coop at Wayfair
"A popular option for raising chickens in backyards and small farms alike."
Runner-Up, Best Multi-Level:
Pawhut Outdoor Wooden Chicken Coop Hen House at Walmart
"This large coop is constructed from solid fir and outfitted with an elevated nesting box, a non-slip ramp, and a sizable run."
Best Urban:
Omlet Eglu Cube at Omlet.us
"A perfect option for urban chicken farmers!"
Best High-End:
Williams Sonoma Cedar Chicken Coop & Run with Planter at Williams-Sonoma
"This hand-built coop is constructed from handsome rot-resistant cedar and with 25 feet of run space, it can accommodate six hens."
Best Walk-In:
Roost & Root Round Top Stand Up Chicken Coop at Roostandroot.com
"A door and the extra height makes it easy for you to come and go."

Best High-End:
Williams Sonoma Cedar Chicken Coop & Run with Planter at Williams-Sonoma
"This hand-built coop is constructed from handsome rot-resistant cedar and with 25 feet of run space, it can accommodate six hens."
Can't speak to the rest, but the WS is $2200 worth of problems. The planter box collects water and causes rot near the floor on the shared wall. Another poster had pictures of damage inside, maybe a month ago.

Its tight inside, no way its good for more than two birds, and the ventilation is inadequate. Its not 5' square in total footprint, either. 0/10 can not recommend. Curious as to where that list came from?

Back
Top Bottom