Need help- My goose has trouble walking

MaxSmith

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Hello everyone, my name is Max. I bought a pair of African geese today and when i brought them home, I noticed that the gander was limping.
His left foot has a bit of a bent, but his right foot is perfectly fine. He has the strength to walk and hardly sits down to rest.

My question would is what can I do to help my goose recover? Will this injury recover on its own? I've attached a picture to give you guys an idea of what's going on. I hope that the knowledgeable folks on this website can give me some insights.

Thank you very much!

Hello everyone, my name is Max. I bought a pair of African geese today and when i brought them home, I noticed that the gander was limping.
His left foot has a bit of a bent, but his right foot is perfectly fine. He has the strength to walk and hardly sits down to rest.

My question would is what can I do to help my goose recover? Will this injury recover on its own? I've attached a picture to give you guys an idea of what's going on. I hope that the knowledgeable folks on this website can give me some insights.

Thank you very much!

Welcome to BYC, can you actually see an injury, did you get them at a sale or private owner, thinking maybe he hurt his leg in transit?

Hi Ms. Lydia, thanks for your swift response.

No i cannot see a visible injury, just minor limping.
I bought the goose from a private owner. At the time of sale, I did not see any visible limping since he was in a cage. Do you think it could be a minor injury?

Hi Ms. Lydia, thanks for your swift response.

No i cannot see a visible injury, just minor limping.
I bought the goose from a private owner. At the time of sale, I did not see any visible limping since he was in a cage. Do you think it could be a minor injury?
Could be I'd check under foot for bumble foot if you haven't already. Also keep him in an area where he isn't having to run around so much for a couple days, like resting when we injure ourselves. If your not too cold for pool water for them that's a good way to get weight off of his leg and also build muscle back form an injury too. Then if you can add some poultry vitamins to their water it will help especially with the stress of moving to a new place. They look young do you know how old? also if the cage was just big enough to hold them till you came to pick them up theres a possibility he may have gotten injured when being put in, or call previous owner and ask if they knew about limp?

I will definitely check under his foot for bumble foot. What exactly is it? Sorry, this is my first time raising geese. I've only been raising chickens for three months so I'm a bit new to this scene. The temperatures in my area right now are mid 60s to low 70s, so i could let him swim around in my lakes to help build his muscles back.

The male (gander) is a year old and the female (hen) is 9 months, that's what the previous owner told me. They were both put into separate large cages before transit; I'm thinking that he could've been injured since he is bigger than the female goose.

Oh and one last question, if I release the pair of geese into my lake, will they come back? I've only had them for a day and I don't think they're that acquainted with their new home yet.

I will definitely check under his foot for bumble foot. What exactly is it? Sorry, this is my first time raising geese. I've only been raising chickens for three months so I'm a bit new to this scene. The temperatures in my area right now are mid 60s to low 70s, so i could let him swim around in my lakes to help build his muscles back.

The male (gander) is a year old and the female (hen) is 9 months, that's what the previous owner told me. They were both put into separate large cages before transit; I'm thinking that he could've been injured since he is bigger than the female goose.

Oh and one last question, if I release the pair of geese into my lake, will they come back? I've only had them for a day and I don't think they're that acquainted with their new home yet.
Nope don't let them out for at least a week or 2 so they recognize you as their care giver and see your place as home. a kiddy pool would be fine in the meantime. I'll get you some info on bumble
th
it can also appear as swollen areas and painful ,the reason for limping
Here is a pic of what it can look like
http://www.metzerfarms.com/Bumblefoot.cfm

Last edited:
I will follow up and see if my goose has bumble foot.

I'm a bit sad that he's still limping but he's slowly improving. He's putting more weight onto his left foot now, which gives me renewed hope.

I feel like I am better able to raise my geese now. Thank you Lydia for all your help! I REEALLLLY appreciate it!!!!!

I will follow up and see if my goose has bumble foot.

I'm a bit sad that he's still limping but he's slowly improving. He's putting more weight onto his left foot now, which gives me renewed hope.

I feel like I am better able to raise my geese now. Thank you Lydia for all your help! I REEALLLLY appreciate it!!!!!
It could have been some thing very minor, still check bottom of foot though and keep in touch with how they are getting on in their new home. When you let your geese go onto your lake I hope you will train them to come into their pen every evening to be locked up at night so you can enjoy them for years to come and not lose them to predators.

In you pond or lakes make sure you do NOT have snapping turtles because they will come up and bite their legs or even bite them off. Just a warning for you to make sure they are safe! I try to warn people who have ponds or lakes to make sure they are clear of snapping turtles.

We are up on a big hill and we have two small hand made ponds in front of my bathroom window and a snapping turtle came all the way up here and laid an egg and I found a baby turtle on the outside of the pond...... It was a snapping turtle.

In you pond or lakes make sure you do NOT have snapping turtles because they will come up and bite their legs or even bite them off. Just a warning for you to make sure they are safe! I try to warn people who have ponds or lakes to make sure they are clear of snapping turtles.

We are up on a big hill and we have two small hand made ponds in front of my bathroom window and a snapping turtle came all the way up here and laid an egg and I found a baby turtle on the outside of the pond...... It was a snapping turtle.

Unfortunately I do have snapping turtles in my lake, I had a nasty encounter with them this past summer when they tried to bite my toe off while I was swimming in the lake. I've seen some wild ducks swim in our lakes before with no problem, but they don't stay in the water for a long time.

Is there any work around for this? My lake is pretty big and I'm not sure how many snapping turtles I have.

Thank you for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom