Need help- My goose has trouble walking

Sounds like a really good plan! I would've sooooo lost without you guys.

I did check for bumble foot, and here are some of the pictures I took of the bottom side of his feet.

Left foot (the one that's troubling him):

Right foot (the one that's perfectly fine):

As far as I can tell Lydia, he doesn't appear to have bumble foot, but I would like your take on this.

I let him swim around in an enclosed area today and he doesn't use his left foot. But so far, he has been swimmingly really quickly!

Thank you guys for listening in and helping a newcomer out!

The first picture is the one I see a tiny black spot on that back pad is a black dot if you look good... That just might be where the foot just might have been going into bumble foot.

Hi RURU,

Yes, I'm glad that I caught it a little early and put him on antibiotics. I'll keep monitoring his foot and see if the black spot goes away/shrinks in size. My gander has little trouble walking in a straight line now, the limping is nearly gone. My goose never had this problem before. Thanks for sharing this advice with me!

P.S. My gander and goose have mated once; My goose laid about two eggs, but isn't laying on them. Does this mean that she won't hatch these eggs?
No your geese are not done by all means. Just taking a break. Usually the first eggs are not fertile. They take their time laying eggs. They lay about every other day and do not start sitting on the eggs full time until she feels she has a nice clutch of eggs. Then she will go broody... Enjoy them Max and keep an eye on your gander foot... Make sure to give the antibiotics for a full 7-10 days....

The first picture is the one I see a tiny black spot on that back pad is a black dot if you look good... That just might be where the foot just might have been going into bumble foot.
I'll keep an eye on that foot.

No your geese are not done by all means. Just taking a break. Usually the first eggs are not fertile. They take their time laying eggs. They lay about every other day and do not start sitting on the eggs full time until she feels she has a nice clutch of eggs. Then she will go broody... Enjoy them Max and keep an eye on your gander foot... Make sure to give the antibiotics for a full 7-10 days....
RURU,

This advice is very helpful to me, I wasn't sure of what to do with the eggs. I will keep him on the full antibiotic regimen. Thanks again RURU!

Max just thought of something else to be helpful for you. Start numbering on the eggs with a pencil. The date laid and if like number one, 2 ect. This way when she gets the total in if the first eggs are over 14 days old before she starts sitting get rid of the very first ones so the hatch will be more uniform and the old ones that are not fertile will not explode on the other if that happens all the eggs will die from the bacteria...

Max just thought of something else to be helpful for you. Start numbering on the eggs with a pencil. The date laid and if like number one, 2 ect. This way when she gets the total in if the first eggs are over 14 days old before she starts sitting get rid of the very first ones so the hatch will be more uniform and the old ones that are not fertile will not explode on the other if that happens all the eggs will die from the bacteria...
I'll probably start doing that! :)

Hello Everyone,

I had one more question. I have 4 Roehn ducks and they've started laying eggs. My african goose has also laid a good number of eggs. Is it ok if I put all the eggs close to each other? The duck eggs are smaller. I wasn't sure if the ducks and geese would be able to differentiate between the two.

Hello Everyone,

I had one more question. I have 4 Roehn ducks and they've started laying eggs. My african goose has also laid a good number of eggs. Is it ok if I put all the eggs close to each other? The duck eggs are smaller. I wasn't sure if the ducks and geese would be able to differentiate between the two.
Only thing I can think of is you may have a problem if one or the other goes broody, because the gander isn't not to take kindly to a duck laying her eggs close to where the goose decides to brood, It would be best to keep them separate.

Thank you Ms. Lydia! How many eggs do you think the ducks will lay before they start sitting on them? The same goes for the African goose.

Back
Top Bottom