Need more food, should it be crumbles again?

Crumble is just the texture (smaller particles), not a type of feed. Some brands offer their standard feeds like layer or all flock in both crumble and pellet format. It's your choice which one you use. I use Purina Flock Raiser, which is good for all ages and genders of chickens, and I use the crumble version, because the chickens themselves prefer crumble over pellet (the pellets are larger and harder to swallow). I have a zero waste feeder so mess isn't a concern. They pick every crumble and lick the dust off the bottom, so nothing goes to waste even with the finer-textured crumble!

You can provide a bowl of calcium (crushed eggshell or oyster shell) on the side at any time, and when the pullets start needing it, they'll know when and how much to eat. That way you won't have to guess when they're about to lay and when to give them calcium. I have crushed eggshells in a bowl available at all times, and pullets that are too young or hens who no longer lay pay no attention to it. The ones who lay will eat from it as needed.

Crumble is just the texture (smaller particles), not a type of feed. Some brands offer their standard feeds like layer or all flock in both crumble and pellet format. It's your choice which one you use. I use Purina Flock Raiser, which is good for all ages and genders of chickens, and I use the crumble version, because the chickens themselves prefer crumble over pellet (the pellets are larger and harder to swallow). I have a zero waste feeder so mess isn't a concern. They pick every crumble and lick the dust off the bottom, so nothing goes to waste even with the finer-textured crumble!

You can provide a bowl of calcium (crushed eggshell or oyster shell) on the side at any time, and when the pullets start needing it, they'll know when and how much to eat. That way you won't have to guess when they're about to lay and when to give them calcium. I have crushed eggshells in a bowl available at all times, and pullets that are too young or hens who no longer lay pay no attention to it. The ones who lay will eat from it as needed.
Great info. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom