Nesting box question

VyeFye

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
Lancaster, CA
I am unsure if I want to build a popped out nesting box area into my coop. The sort where you can collect eggs without opening the coop itself.
Only only have 5 pullets that free range all day. Their coop is large enough that I can simply place nesting boxes inside without worry of them walking in them, etc. It is worth it? Are there any benefits at all besides the fact that I wouldn't have to go in the coop?
My coop is already made and is large enough for me to crawl inside no issue. I also have two tiny humans that I care for simultaneously with my chickens so they can help me with egg gathering.
I do have some cosmetic work to do on the outside of the coop so if the popped nesting box would be good, it's not a huge deal. Any insight is appreciated.

Since you are in California I don't think it matters and is a matter of preference. Here in Wisconsin those nest would freeze up quickly in winter and eggs would too. I also don't like the idea of freaking birds out every time I lift the lid on the nestboxes. My hens can see me coming with my boxes inside the shed.

Mine are inside the coop raised up 18 inches, so it doesn't take away from my floor space. It works well for me and my chickens don't mind me being in there. I'm in there every morning scooping poop from my roost board and collect eggs every evening. The only reason I see having external nest boxes, is because a coop isn't big enough to have them inside. My coop is 8' x 12'.

inside coop.jpg

Main reason to have it external is convenience, being able to pick up eggs without having to go inside the coop. Mine are fully internal, as I found it easier to just build boxes and put them inside, instead of cutting an opening in the wall.

Another consideration for me is rain. We can get a lot of rain so opening external boxes with rain falling into them isn't something I enjoy (had to do it before). I'd rather go inside the coop where it's dry and pick up eggs at my leisure. If I stuff them in my pockets they'll stay pretty dry when I carry them into the house.

all the coops I have built have the nest boxes on the outside. it is a lot easier to get the eggs. one of my friends had his on the inside and ended up changing and fixing an external nest box on his coop.

One of the issues with external nesting boxes is that it creates another security liability. If you are the type to cross all your T's and dot all your I's and you know for sure you are going to lock EVERY door to coop at night including your egg doors then not a problem. If you cut corners (like me).... are half asleep as the sun goes down in late June due to a long day (like me) and just shutting the coop door is cumbersome task (for 15 coops in my case) then its safer to keep them inside. What ever fits you best.

One of the more common ways that predators get into coops is through the door to an external egg box because someone didn't lock it while collecting eggs. When Collecting eggs your hands are a bit busy handling fragile items and its common not to lock it. Always check them at night when you secure the coop.

all the coops I have built have the nest boxes on the outside. it is a lot easier to get the eggs.

:welcome

I think that has to do with the size or design of your coop also. Some coops are better with external boxes. My coop is an 8 x 12 lean to shed, it's easy to walk into and collect the eggs.(post #4)

My coop is not easy to get into, but certainly doable for a tasty snack. With the advice that @Compost King gives though, I think I will definitely go with the interior nesting boxes. I have enough on my mind to not have to worry about yet ANOTHER latch to lock. Thank you all for your help and insight!

My coop is not easy to get into, but certainly doable for a tasty snack. With the advice that @Compost King gives though, I think I will definitely go with the interior nesting boxes. I have enough on my mind to not have to worry about yet ANOTHER latch to lock. Thank you all for your help and insight!

I have a few that are a pain in the butt to get the eggs out of, some require kneeling boards and reaching in far to get to them. I also have 3 coops built on the sides of a storage shed and I put the "external" nesting boxes in that so I just need to close the Shed and lock it when I lock up the coops.. I have a brooder in there too so closing it is the same as locking down a coop.
I figured that if I had external nesting boxes I would forget to lock one and of all the mistakes to make a security mistake is the absolute worst one to fix in hindsight.

Back
Top Bottom