New Arrivals (Few toe injury pics for those squeamish)

Hey, I like free and easy! Sounds good to me! What do you think is more important for 5-8week old quails; houses for them to hide in or a sand pit? Only thing I don't like about this narrow brooder, not a lot of real estate to put things in.
They're both important, but if I had to prioritize one, it would be hiding places.

They're both important, but if I had to prioritize one, it would be hiding places.
Thank you so much for getting back to me. Hiding places it is! They do seem a lot less active compared to the wide ranging space of the stalls where they were flappin' about but they don't complain in the brooder. One is starting to crow. I always find it cute when they start. Even the chickens.

One thing I'm noticing with the new arrivals is that one would crow and the rest would scatter like crazy. Is that a learning thing or do they just not like me in their space?

Jakes crew is 2 weeks 1 day old today. They like having the space in the new brooder. Bought a mortar and pestle today and think I may try one of those scrambled egg recipes where you add the crushed up shell to it for grit.

Attachments

• Jakes Crew 2 weeks 1 day.jpg
    Jakes Crew 2 weeks 1 day.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 5
Jakes crew is 2 weeks 1 day old today. They like having the space in the new brooder. Bought a mortar and pestle today and think I may try one of those scrambled egg recipes where you add the crushed up shell to it for grit.
They're a bit young to be needing supplemental calcium. When they're adults, I would recommend offering the shell on the side and let them eat what they want.

They're a bit young to be needing supplemental calcium. When they're adults, I would recommend offering the shell on the side and let them eat what they want.
Oh sorry. I meant mostly for the adults out in the coop. I need to buy one of those quail scissors that makes it a lot easier cracking them.

Bubbas are growing. I'm really in love with the little colored one but love how the white quail are starting to show more splashes of color here and there. At least with the lighter colors they should do better in the heat when they eventually go out to their coop. Just depends how hard summer is gonna bite. Hopefully no 45C days. I'll be moving the brooders out of the shed well before that happens and choose a breezy spot down the side of the greenhouse.

Attachments

• Jakes Crew 2 weeks 3 days.jpg
    Jakes Crew 2 weeks 3 days.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 3
Bubbas are growing. I'm really in love with the little colored one but love how the white quail are starting to show more splashes of color here and there. At least with the lighter colors they should do better in the heat when they eventually go out to their coop. Just depends how hard summer is gonna bite. Hopefully no 45C days. I'll be moving the brooders out of the shed well before that happens and choose a breezy spot down the side of the greenhouse.
Keep an eye on them. When you have almost all of one colour, the one that's different may get picked on.

Well, my coop outside is nearly done and finishing it is helping me take my mind off the wholesale slaughter my dogs had with my baby quail yesterda. I'll be doing one more foot clean before they all go out or trying the idea of letting them run around some shallow water to free up the muck.

I put in another bearer or w/e in the middle to support the new heavier gauge mesh flooring and you can see the new sand pit. Above the sand pit I will be cutting in a window so the idea is so the seabreeze comes through one end and out the other. Trying to make it predator proof while balancing ventilation is hard!

Attachments

• poop coop upgrade b.jpg
    poop coop upgrade b.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 1
  • poop coop upgrade c.jpg
    poop coop upgrade c.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 1
  • poop coop upgrade d.jpg
    poop coop upgrade d.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 2
  • poop coop upgrade.jpg
    poop coop upgrade.jpg