PeckyMcCluckin

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2022
Hi I am new to this site and to chickens. I have done a couple years of research and prep and finally convinced my husband we should get chickies. I have 8 currently. I think they are doing good but I think I am just anxious for things to go well. I have one that keeps sneezing but no other issues. I checked her nose but obviously they are teeny tiny holes. I had them on wood chips that were supposed to be low dust which means really nothing. I removed cedar chips bc they started to scratch around as they have gotten bigger ( I believe all but one are about 1.5-2 weeks old based on feather development and one that is closer to a week). They seem to have very loose orangeish brown poops when I transfer them to another container to clean the main brooder. I think it is cecal poop bc when I clean the container it has a mix of both regular looking poos and some looser ones. They all seem happy and are eating/drinking/sleeping. When I noticed the sneezy one I took away the chips and put them on like a puppy pad but even with frequent changes it was getting really gross really fast and their little feet and feathers were gross. I put them on a puppy pad and sifted the wood chips and did a small layer to help maintain the poop and give them something to scratch at which they seem to really enjoy. They also have their red heat light. based on who they act they seem warm enough. One seems like her feathers are looking a little ruff but she has her wing feathers and I can see more coming in on her back so I think maybe its just that more are coming in.
My question is am I doing things right? Should I be worried about the sneezy one? None of their faces seem puffy. She is a little bit of a runt. Are there any other signs I should be looking for? Or how do you tell cecal poop from diarrhea? I have them on fresh water and medicated food.

Ditch the cedar chips, cedar is no good for chickens. Mine are 3 1/2 weeks old & then I also have 2 weekers, some of them sneeze too but from what I’ve found it’s fairly normal for them as long as they are acting fine & no nasty discharge, etc. We’ve been using the pine flakes from TSC, 6/7$ for a big bag & ok to change once a week although I like to sift through it here & there. Lol. I would also offer them one waterer for electrolytes & then another for just fresh. I hope this helps! They are messy little boogers to say the least. 😂

Ditch the cedar chips, cedar is no good for chickens. Mine are 3 1/2 weeks old & then I also have 2 weekers, some of them sneeze too but from what I’ve found it’s fairly normal for them as long as they are acting fine & no nasty discharge, etc. We’ve been using the pine flakes from TSC, 6/7$ for a big bag & ok to change once a week although I like to sift through it here & there. Lol. I would also offer them one waterer for electrolytes & then another for just fresh. I hope this helps! They are messy little boogers to say the least. 😂
Thanks I believe that’s what we have as well as far as bedding. I looked at it again it’s pine not cedar 🤦🏻‍♀️ I got them some electrolytes today to see if that perks them back up some more. I’ve offered that and when I get home from work I’ll get them a fresh water one as well. I took a couple pics I can’t tell if they are looking ruffled (unwell) or if they are just getting more big girl feathers in. The one I’m most worried about is smaller than the others and she’s been kind of hunched. She’s eating and drinking fine and will randomly perk up and try to perch on the feeder. I think she’s definitely on the low end of the pecking order. I can’t tell if she’s sick or just timid.

Attachments

• E82491AD-BF16-4973-9633-8D12BB171000.jpeg
    E82491AD-BF16-4973-9633-8D12BB171000.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 588236B6-FD1E-43D1-82E8-6167724782DA.jpeg
    588236B6-FD1E-43D1-82E8-6167724782DA.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 9
Thanks I believe that’s what we have as well as far as bedding. I looked at it again it’s pine not cedar 🤦🏻‍♀️ I got them some electrolytes today to see if that perks them back up some more. I’ve offered that and when I get home from work I’ll get them a fresh water one as well. I took a couple pics I can’t tell if they are looking ruffled (unwell) or if they are just getting more big girl feathers in. The one I’m most worried about is smaller than the others and she’s been kind of hunched. She’s eating and drinking fine and will randomly perk up and try to perch on the feeder. I think she’s definitely on the low end of the pecking order. I can’t tell if she’s sick or just timid.
As far as I can see they look normal, their feathers coming in definitely makes them look goofy. 😂 Try to get a video with good lighting! We have 21 chicks & I notice here & there that sometimes they are just tired or don’t feel like playing. They usually end up rolling around (dust bathing) & still doing everything normally. 😄

As far as I can see they look normal, their feathers coming in definitely makes them look goofy. 😂 Try to get a video with good lighting! We have 21 chicks & I notice here & there that sometimes they are just tired or don’t feel like playing. They usually end up rolling around (dust bathing) & still doing everything normally. 😄
Awesome! I mean they seem generally ok I think the poor little one is just low on the pecking order and now that I’m home and looked closer I can see even more feather development around their necks than there was this morning. Lol awkward preteen years 😂

A cecal/runny poop once in awhile is normal. Constantly is not. Chickens poop 8-10 x a day! Observe the ones you believe might have diarrhea to monitor frequency. If they act normal, probably just cecal. Just wait til they're teenagers!
Thanks. I’ve def seen decal poops but one for sure was having foamy yellow poop and then another started. I did Corid and did a drench for 3 days on the one that I noticed first bc she is always hunched and looks sad. Everyone else’s poops are back to normal but hers are still not. Idk what else to do for her. She’s the sweetest snuggliest thing. Like she will literally run to my hand and climb into it. I think she’s definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. One of my pullets turned out to be a cockerel and he definitely goes after her more than others. I’m going to get rid of him as we can’t have roosters. I’m hoping when I find him a new home she may perk up. Otherwise I’m worried she may just be failure to thrive.

How is she today? Still drinking and eating?
I ended up doing a round of Corid and she perked up! She’s even gained weight. She’s still timid around the other chickens. I figured out one is a male for sure and they all kind of pick on her. They are 5 weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom