New chicks and new rooster

Attachments

• 20240326_164534.jpg
    20240326_164534.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 2
I have been reading her for over a year gaining much needed info. Everyone here is great with anecdotal, yet immensely insightful info.

My story is what I believe, creation in action. I haven't read this is the countless forums and such. I am posting it here.

I got my first 15 chicks May 2023. Sexed for 13 hens-2 roos. I got 3 roosters. I guess the hatchery threw in the extra boy because I wanted two. I lost a hen in shipping. 3 boys.

They all got along until about7 months. Sadly there was a fight. It was in the coop before the auto door went up. Blood everywhere. I decided with heavy heart to only keep one. Mr. Hollywood always made sure the girls were in at night. He always threw the snacks to the girls before he ate.

My point is.... This rooster has exceeded all my expectations.

I had a broody hen(they are all wyandottes).She sat on 4 eggs. Three hatched Friday May 3. I have read all the pros and cons here and decided to have a small dog crate in the coop for mommma and the chicks.
Momma had the babies out on the 2nd day. (ugh! I'll never do 6 weeks under a heatlamp again) They were perfectly fine. I had to wrap clothesline on the ramp into the coop so the little ones could get traction. Otherwise the 3 were automatically part of the flock.

I know this is long but bear with me. Momma talks to the chicks in a weird "bubble" in the throat talk. Guiding them here and there. I've watched for two weeks. It's amazing.

My point is that Mr Hollywood Always goes in the coop to check momma and chicks when they head in about an hour earlier than the rest. He was in there a while longer yesterday. I peeped in the door to see.
He had cozied himself into the dog crate and was doing the "bubble" talk, exactly like the hen. The chicks ran right in and settled down. Momma went in and he came out. He "bubbled" a little more and he went out to perform his manly duties with the rest of the girls.

He did it again tonight. It is amazing. I have saddles on all the girls because he is such a booger, but he is so gentle with the chicks. I was worried about raising the chicks natural with the rest. It has been a wonderful experience.
Sorry such a long post.....

I have been reading her for over a year gaining much needed info. Everyone here is great with anecdotal, yet immensely insightful info.

My story is what I believe, creation in action. I haven't read this is the countless forums and such. I am posting it here.

I got my first 15 chicks May 2023. Sexed for 13 hens-2 roos. I got 3 roosters. I guess the hatchery threw in the extra boy because I wanted two. I lost a hen in shipping. 3 boys.

They all got along until about7 months. Sadly there was a fight. It was in the coop before the auto door went up. Blood everywhere. I decided with heavy heart to only keep one. Mr. Hollywood always made sure the girls were in at night. He always threw the snacks to the girls before he ate.

I had a broody hen(they are all wyandottes).She sat on 4 eggs. Three hatched Friday May 3. I have read all the pros and cons here and decided to have a small dog crate in the coop for mommma and the chicks.
Momma had the babies out on the 2nd day. (ugh! I'll never do 6 weeks under a heatlamp again) They were perfectly fine. I had to wrap clothesline on the ramp into the coop so the little ones could get traction. Otherwise the 3 were automatically part of the flock.

I know this is long but bear with me. Momma talks to the chicks in a weird "bubble" in the throat talk. Guiding them here and there. I've watched for two weeks. It's amazing.

My point is that Mr Hollywood Always goes in the coop to check momma and chicks when they head in about an hour earlier than the rest. He was in there a while longer yesterday. I peeped in the door to see.
He had cozied himself into the dog crate and was doing the "bubble" talk, exactly like the hen. The chicks ran right in and settled down. Momma went in and he came out. He "bubbled" a little more and he went out to perform his manly duties with the rest of the girls.

He did it again tonight. It is amazing. I have saddles on all the girls because he is such a booger, but he is so gentle with the chicks. I was worried about raising the chicks natural with the rest. It has been a wonderful experience.
I've found that many roosters have excellent "parenting " skills when aloud access to their offsprings. They also raise cockerels who are better behaved. They treat the chicks like members of their flock, show them affection, and teach the the rules. It's almost always best to let mama hen and chicks remain with the flock.
Good luck with your flock, and may you be blessed with more pullets than cockerels!

Hiya, and welcome to BYC! :frow

You could go here and post a new post in this forum so more will see it and can welcome you. ☺️

That said, glad you have experienced this as it's so amazing!!
We have a couple of roosters that even helps protect the young ones with no hen that are free-ranging. Sometimes an older hen will go after a little one and one of the roosters will intercede.

Back
Top Bottom