New ducklings are TERRIFIED of me

paigeber

Chirping
Dec 29, 2020
London, Ontario
Hello!

My 2 new anconas are in their brooder & are terrified of me:-(

they are 2 & 3 days old, so I assume they’re just getting used to their new environment but every time I put my hand in the brooder to change the water or anything they peep super loud & run to the other side of the box & start shaking. Is there anything I can do to make them less scared? I want cuddly ducks but I’m scared handling them to much will overwhelm them.
TIA💖
(Picture of when I first picked them up:) )

Attachments

• 2926E3BD-F041-410D-8B4A-A9F86D1F8210.jpeg
    2926E3BD-F041-410D-8B4A-A9F86D1F8210.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 13
They are going to take some time to get used to you. They will never jump up in your lap and let you cuddle them but it's not a reflection on you. Ducks just don't usually like to be held. Once in a great while, you might get a duck that will sit in your lap but not often. I've only had one that was perfectly happy to sit in my lap without being forced to.

About half of my 17 ducks will eat out of my hand but none of them really like to be held that much unless they are not feeling well. Some of them will follow me around as I gather up their water buckets at night to clean them but that's really because they know that under those buckets there will probably be worms. Same thing when they see me coming with treats in a bowl or reaching for the mealworm bowl. Then they love me. Fickle litttle things! Maybe you'll get lucky but I wouldn't count on it.

Dogs and cats like to cuddle though.

They are going to take some time to get used to you. They will never jump up in your lap and let you cuddle them but it's not a reflection on you. Ducks just don't usually like to be held. Once in a great while, you might get a duck that will sit in your lap but not often. I've only had one that was perfectly happy to sit in my lap without being forced to.

About half of my 17 ducks will eat out of my hand but none of them really like to be held that much unless they are not feeling well. Some of them will follow me around as I gather up their water buckets at night to clean them but that's really because they know that under those buckets there will probably be worms. Same thing when they see me coming with treats in a bowl or reaching for the mealworm bowl. Then they love me. Fickle litttle things! Maybe you'll get lucky but I wouldn't count on it.

Dogs and cats like to cuddle though.
Thank you!

yes I figured they’re not going to want to sit with me but hoping these guys are a little more friendly in the next little bit. Hopefully they get used to my hand coming into my brooder cause I feel so bad everytime i go in there 😅

Thank you!

yes I figured they’re not going to want to sit with me but hoping these guys are a little more friendly in the next little bit. Hopefully they get used to my hand coming into my brooder cause I feel so bad everytime i go in there 😅
hold them and play with them a lot. It will make a big difference if you do that. The more time you spend with and around them the more they will love you. Maybe not to the point that they want you to actually reach out and touch them but they won't be afraid to come around you.

hold them and play with them a lot. It will make a big difference if you do that. The more time you spend with and around them the more they will love you. Maybe not to the point that they want you to actually reach out and touch them but they won't be afraid to come around you.
Definitely will do! Thanks so much:)

Thank you!

I felt same way as you. I "rescued" 6 eggs because their mom abandoned the nest. I made a brooder and became their "mom", but they were the same with me as yours are with you. Even thoughI cared for them constantly but not touching them too much, they still were afraid of me. As they get bigger, you will notice a change though. Mine, at 3 months, still don't like to be touched, but they love to be around me. They wag their tails when I am coming and they know my voice. Yours will surely come to trust you , too.

Back
Top Bottom