New England winter watering options for chickens

My first winter I had 2 identical waterers. I kept one near the furnace to thaw and swapped them out as needed.
That is what I did previously. I kept one in the house and one in the coop and swapped them around 1-2 times a day.
Last winter I invested in a heated waterer and it is quite a luxury! I was happy I wasn't lugging the 5gal buckets around as we had a lot of snow and ice and I needed ski poles to make my way to the coop so it would have been tough going with a full bucket.

I've had up to 22 birds and only needed to carry out a gallon jug each day.
I came to that realization just before it started warming up (slow learner here)!
But I decided to go for the heated waterer anyway.
I have only used the heated one one season so far so I am hoping it doesn't break down on me after just one winter.

Nice setup @My Very First 6 Chickens

Huh. Now I wonder what kind you use... I don't remember the name of what we had. But we busted at least 2. Blue, hard plastic.
I can't help you there ;) Mine is also hard blue plastic, same Farm Innovator's as @K0k0shka but the 1.5 gallon size. Got it at TSC, current price is $4 LESS than Amazon.

I’m not too twisted up over periodic water offerings in winter.
Can you put your general location in your profile? Location matters with this sort of thing.

I also have a heated 5 gallon bucket for the 2 alpacas and somehow one 2 gallon cat litter jug per day accommodates them and 20 chickens (last winter, will be 25 this winter if no one dies). I swear the chickens drink more than the alpacas!

Here we go New England! Time to prep for another winter season! This will be my first winter season with chickens and my biggest concern is water! I have most of the items to set up a heater with the pvc and the nipples, but will look to do that in the spring. This season, i will literally go outside every 2 hrs and give them fresh water if necessary. Thats not entirely realistic, so, i come here, to ask my chicken pros what some simple DYI ideas to get through this first winter. I do have a waterer that can be plugged in, but would still like some alternative ideas that others do. Was thinking of putting a water/feed into coop, but I dont know about the space in there. Throw me some ideas peeps! And thank you! 🐓❤️
5 GALLON HEATED WATERER MADE BY MILLER MFG. CO. SOLD ALSO ON AMAZON. WE HAD TERRIBLE COLD IN KANSAS IN FEBRUARY AND END OF JANUARY, WATER NEVER GET FROZEN !!! AVOID TO SET IT ON THE GROUND BECAUSE THE BIRDS MAY MAKE MESS AND CAUSE THE SURROUNDING AREA FROZEN IF WATER GET SPILLED. 1 FOOT ABOVE THE GROUND OR HEIGHT ADJUSTED TO THE SIZE OF YOUR BIRDS, SO THAT THEY HAVE TO STRETCH A LITLE, BUT NOT TOO MUCH TO DRINK. WE USE THE SAME WATERER IN SOMMER TIME, ONLY WE KEEP IT DISCONECTED. MAKE SURE THAT HANGS FREE IN THE AIR ON ROPE OR CHAIN. SURROUNDING AIR WORKS AS INSULATOR ALSO. GOOD LUCK. LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR BIRDS MADE THROUGH COMMING WINTER

Last edited:
I have these:
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.26.29 AM.png

I have electric in both coops & these stay outside under the covered runs. I carry a gallon or 2 from the house out to replenish them every couple of days as I don't have water outside in the winter. They work fine in New England, but I would imagine the nipples would freeze in a super cold place.

They aren't cheap, but I had gift cards so it didn't hurt as bad.

Here we go New England! Time to prep for another winter season! This will be my first winter season with chickens and my biggest concern is water! I have most of the items to set up a heater with the pvc and the nipples, but will look to do that in the spring. This season, i will literally go outside every 2 hrs and give them fresh water if necessary. Thats not entirely realistic, so, i come here, to ask my chicken pros what some simple DYI ideas to get through this first winter. I do have a waterer that can be plugged in, but would still like some alternative ideas that others do. Was thinking of putting a water/feed into coop, but I dont know about the space in there. Throw me some ideas peeps! And thank you! 🐓❤️
I live in Western Maine 60 miles from the Canadian border. Gets cold here too. Chickens run a normal temp of about 106F. Much warmer than us. They have to coats just like some doges. A down coat and their feathers. Think of the Eider ducks in the arctic area. They live outdoors. But they do fine. The winter native birds do fine. Blue jays, chick-d-dees etc. Dry is the key to all of this. Come this winter if your walls have condensation on them on them you need more ventilation. Period. My coop is just plywood with a metal roof. Former food shed. Birds have wintered over for 2 years. Before that they did 2 years in a TSC "coop". paper thin.

My watering system goes like this. I have 11 hens. ! quart heated dog bowl. But when I didn't have electric. I carried out 1 gallon jug ( Former Arizona Ice Tea jug) in the morning and topped off as needed. Usually mid afternoon. Had to gather eggs might as well refill water. I filled 7-10 jugs and left them in a corner of the kitchen every Sunday night for the week. Top off inventory as needed during the week. They larger round base heater don't melt the Arizona ice tea just. The Talento ice cream jars do melt. My coop is right next to my power pole so ran a #12 heavy duty extension cord into the coop for the base outside and the heated bowl in side. I keep the base outside and when snowplowing around the coop area dust it off. Neve had frozen water. 2-3 jugs fit fine on that base.

I have electricity in the coop

I made a simple heated waterer using a popcorn can, ceramic fixture and a 60 watt light bulb

i-4zWsDx8-XL.jpg

For a heatsink I filled the can with pea stone right up to the light bulb

i-JrrjSXK.jpg

i-jk827Pj-XL.jpg

I only keep this set up in the coop area during the winter months for the rest of the year I use one of these hung in the run area:

i-k3S54pw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom