New gander who thinks he's a chicken!

Thanks Miss Lydia, it all happened so fast I don't know for sure if he was trying to bite or just attack. I guess I need to read about mating. Is it the female that decides the time for mating?

Thanks Miss Lydia, it all happened so fast I don't know for sure if he was trying to bite or just attack. I guess I need to read about mating. Is it the female that decides the time for mating?
Last year Missy would almost attack Sam then they would mate,she'd start biting on him, it was quite comical, a few times she got so carried away they actually fell off the ramp when they were mating. It was her first time to mate, this year she is taking her time and they haven't mated yet. No pool available either but last year they mated on dry ground. The ganders get pretty cranky during mating season. They think they have to be armed guards to their mates.
roll.png

I hope Lucy will do the same as Missy. I will keep you posted on this matter, hopefully with some good news soon. Has missy ever sat on eggs? Any goslings?

I hope Lucy will do the same as Missy. I will keep you posted on this matter, hopefully with some good news soon. Has missy ever sat on eggs? Any goslings?
She sat on eggs last May but they weren't fertile and we are not sure if because it was her first year that all the eggs I candled weren't fertile or my 6 yr old gander may not be. She laid a whopping 60 so this year as soon as it warms up she will get to brood just to break her from laying so many, I was very worried about her health laying so many eggs. I would love to see her and Sam with some goslings, just because Sam was such an awesome papa goose to the Muscovy duckling that hatched here a couple years ago. I hope you see Lucy making advance towards Boy soon.
fl.gif

Wow that is a lot of eggs! I hope her eggs are fertile this year! Tonight Gretchen Boy went into the goose house with ease. I guess he's getting the routine down. Plus he really likes my cornbread and gobbles the treat down.

Wow that is a lot of eggs! I hope her eggs are fertile this year! Tonight Gretchen Boy went into the goose house with ease. I guess he's getting the routine down. Plus he really likes my cornbread and gobbles the treat down.
Great advances. soon he'll forget all about those chickens.
lol.png
Cornbread, My gander won't eat cornbread at all, he love whole corn though and w/w bread which he gets on occasion but not often usually when I am getting them back inside the fence I'll bring out bread they will run all over each other to get to me, great way to get them inside.
smile.png

It's kinda funny how they will sometimes run or walk without looking where they are going! All my flock come running for the cornbread treat. I make it different all the time but usually add applesauce, shredded apples, carrots, zucchini or broccoli, raisins and some cinnamon. I do the same when I want to get them in at bed time.

It's kinda funny how they will sometimes run or walk without looking where they are going! All my flock come running for the cornbread treat. I make it different all the time but usually add applesauce, shredded apples, carrots, zucchini or broccoli, raisins and some cinnamon. I do the same when I want to get them in at bed time.
So you make this cornbread just for the flock? I usually just offer left overs. My chickens of course will eat anything the ducks and geese a more picky.
You have never seen any kind of pred around since you lost your other goose? Yesterday i saw a fox not far from here, don't get to see many preds they are so sneaky but i know they are around, I finally ordered a trail camera so I can see what all comes around at night. Everyone is locked up tight but I am curious.

Yes I make cornbread just for my flock including my sun conure, Indian Ringneck and parakeet. I started making cornbread for my sun conure. I am not sure why I offered it to the geese but they love it!
I have only seen some dogs coming close but we yelled at them and they ran away. I hear coyotes all the time, way in the woods. I want a camera too! That attack happened during the day but now if I'm not here I keep everyone penned up. I should have known better. I am looking for a Great Pyrenees puppy, I've heard the watch over livestock and let him grow up around the flock.

Yes I make cornbread just for my flock including my sun conure, Indian Ringneck and parakeet. I started making cornbread for my sun conure. I am not sure why I offered it to the geese but they love it!
I have only seen some dogs coming close but we yelled at them and they ran away. I hear coyotes all the time, way in the woods. I want a camera too! That attack happened during the day but now if I'm not here I keep everyone penned up. I should have known better. I am looking for a Great Pyrenees puppy, I've heard the watch over livestock and let him grow up around the flock.
I wish Celtic still came on BYC she has Pyrenees and could probably give all kinds of suggestions, I'd love to have a LGD too but having 4 dogs already I will have to wait on another one. I think the barking my mini Dachshunds do keeps alot of preds away during the day time and at night everyone is locked up, but I'd like to be able to let mine out of the fenced part of the property at times and having an LGD would be great. I hope you can find one.
Whats an Indian Ring neck?

Back
Top Bottom