New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

I got my first NHR chick Wednesday, she's about 3 wks old. What is the temperament like? She should be a she, how soon would cockerel signs show up? Any info would be great, thanks!

I got my first NHR chick Wednesday, she's about 3 wks old. What is the temperament like? She should be a she, how soon would cockerel signs show up? Any info would be great, thanks!

They are fast growing, so anywhere by 3 months you should be seeing cockerel signs if you got a cockerel. But,cockerels generally have combs within the first 5-6 weeks. They are competitive.And very territorial,but are friendly with humans.Easy tamers.I have a rooster who tolerates me holding him,and is very friendly.When he was the "Lower" hand roo,he would come sit with me on our feed bucket.I still will bring him in our house.He very first learned to crow,inside right on my lap,so yes,depending upon on how "You" train them,they can grow up being some very docile birds.

Hello NHR thread!

New chickie Mama here, I just picked up two 10 week old NHR girls to rebuild my flock (had a straight-run of 9 Silkies and wound up with 8 boys) it's been almost a week and they seem to be getting along with my 14 week old Silkie girl nicely. A couple abnormalities though...

My Silkie girl seems to be quite protective of them - cuddling/guarding them at night and staying inside the coop with them the majority of the day. When I go out, they generally come out to eat (I have left a chick waterer inside the coop just to insure that they're staying hydrated) but will flutter back inside rather than explore the exterior enclosure. I'm thinking this is just because the NHR were indoor barn-kept with similar ages (but mixed breeds) and they're used to being inside, and my Silkie girl was originally the smallest and stayed inside away from the boys.

The smaller NHR's butt feathers seem to have been pecked at from before. Is there anything I can do for this? Or just let her molt it out?

I've also seen the smaller NHR have watery poops, which I read can be because of heat. They've had organic raw unfiltered ACV in their waterers since day 1 here. So maybe it's just the heat and potential stress/adjusting from moving.

Other than those things (which may just be me over-worrying) they're doing well together. :)

I'm due to pickup two 13 month old Red Sex Links this weekend, but I don't want to overstress the girls. I have two dog cages I can do gradual integration with, but am worried my girls will be at the bottom of the pecking order. Anyone with a mixed breed/age flock have advice on this? I'm just a worrier by nature :oops:

TIA!

I'm so disappointed... I ordered 12 birds, two of six different breeds, including New Hampshire. Seems though that I've likely been given something else, probably black sex link, because I didn't have chicks the colour I see here except for my red sex links. Oh man. Maybe I really have no idea what chickens I have haha...

My little red heads will be 15 weeks old tomorrow!

Ginger's comb and wattles are starting to turn red, Pepper's are still pinkish. I'm still fairly certain they're both pullets, unless anyone thinks otherwise?

I received a New Hampshire pullet on accident last year as part of my Cackle "fry pan special" She is a nice big bird and is currently setting on 8 "barnie" eggs. They should hatch tomorrow... I'm super excited since none of my other birds went broody this year. She is sweet even while broody.

Lovely rooster. I have 5 hens and a rooster of this breed and 13 of 3 other large size breeds. I decided on this breed because of them being friendly and their ability to turn other breeds broody.

But to find out that the roosters may be protective of their hens is wonderful.. Learning that they may be eagle and hawk aware is an added bonus. We have hawks and eagles and our current mean as a snake rooster does a good job of guiding our free ranging hens to cover and if a hen lags behind I can tell him to "go get the girl" and he will go and come back with her shortly.

Thanks for the lovely picture and the information.

Back
Top Bottom