bgmathteach

MathmaChicken Mama
Premium Feather Member
Aug 22, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Hi All,

I'm a new member to Backyard Chickens. I've been reading items/threads from your site for a couple of years now (when they come up in google searches!) I am joining now because I actually had a thought that might help someone!!! (instead of being on the receiving end all the time, LOL)

I've had chickens for about 6 years now...and chicken math has definitely taken over. I started with 8, and now (with young'uns included) have about 100 chickens & ducks. I'll be down to about 65-70-ish this fall once I process my older hens & extra roosters/drakes. (Really, why in the world would a 50/50 hatch rate make sense in nature when in the wild you would have 1 rooster to about 3-5 hens - according to research on red jungle fowl.?)

I have a mix of breeds - all heritage except for a few of my own 'mutts' (black stars). I love most of the dual purpose breeds - each for different reasons, but have decided to primarily run with Barred Rocks because they are personable and aggressive forages, plus decent layers and have a good carcass when the layers are older....so nothing wasted. I have a few light Brahmas, some Ameracaunas, Welsummers, and Cuckoo Marans, two Buff Orpingtons, and just got 5 Astralorps (@ 50 cents each, couldn't resist!). Plus I have some White Rocks and some Dark Cornish that I'm trying to cross for a less 'Frankenchicken' version of a meat bird where the roos are more than just drumsticks! My hope is to successfully breed Barred Rocks and meat birds to continue my flock without having to buy chicks each year, and maybe grow it into a small side business for retirement (selling eggs, chicks & meat birds). However, at the present I'm working to support THEM, LOL

I love gardening, and hope to set up a small herb and cut flower business, too. I am using organic practices, but am not planning on getting certified due to the cost and effort - not worth it for my size! BUT: I am a strong believer in organic, sustainable practices, and am slowly building up my knowledge of best practices and working with my present land. (Rocky, gravelly, poor soils) Hope to be able to grow some of my food/supplements for my chickens, too (pumpkins for winter storage, long storing cabbage, pea plants/clover/mixed grasses - cut & stored like hayledge) in the future as I slowly improve the soils in small sections of my land (new property to us 2 years ago - poor soils and completely overrun with bittersweet and rosa rugosa - clearing sections of land of these invasives is slow, hard work.) I'm also dabbling in BSFL, but my first 'experiemnt' was a bit of a failure. Some climbed out of the bin as expected, but some (many) pupated right in the bin...then FLEW out - into my basement. Dear Hubby was NOT amused with the 'swarm.' :(

I presently teach math at a community college as an adjunct (same work, no bennies and less pay, as a full-time faculty!) Since I am close to retirement age, and no real benefit plan...and fear outliving what I've managed to put away, I will need at least a part-time income in retirement. Besides, what could be more rewarding than watching Chickens' & ducks' antics, gardening, and being paid for it (even if less than minimum wage?)

Hello, Barb, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
How old is old for your retired layers?
Anywhere from 2.5 to 4.5 years, depending on the hen and/or if she is one who goes broody or not. Have kept a few 'special hens' to 5.5. Last one passed away on her own. Autopsy showed she had PCOS :(

:welcome :frow I raise pure (heritage) breeds which are noted in my signature. I have done some experimental breeding in the past. I have a lot of birds too. I do sell eggs for hatching and eating. Around half of my yearly hatches are males. In the past we did process some but now it's more cost effective to sell the extra males which helps offset the cost of the feed. Some of the females go into breeding coops and pens and others go into general population coops and pens for the eggs. I do show my birds at poultry shows. None last year due to covid. I'm lucky to break even with selling birds and eggs.. I'm retired also. Good luck with your birds and have fun...

I don't keep the older birds when they aren't as active in the laying department. I sell them but for me they aren't pets which they are for many people. I do have some special birds. One recently passed at 8 years old. She was special but ordinarily I don't keep them. Every year I hatch out around 200/300 chicks of which around half will be males. I keep the best as future breeders and sell the rest of the males. I have been doing this for a long time and have people that will buy my birds and probably many of them will become stew. I barely break even but as long as I can feed my birds I'm happy. Again, good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom