New Member from Alaska!

Jamiedanielle55

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am new to chickens. I just got my first few chicks about 3 weeks ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I currently have 8 girls. I will be getting 6 more chicks in a week and a half and another three the week after. (The chicken math is real. Starting with 17!) The more research I did, the more breeds I fell in love with!

(3) What breeds do you have?
I currently have; 2 Olive Eggers, 2 Sapphire Gems, 1 Dark Brahma, 1 Light Brahma, 1 Barred Rock and one chick that the feed store said was a Barred Rock but is not (surprise :eek:)
In a bout a week and a half I will be getting 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Easter Eggers and 2 Silkies
The week after that I will be getting 2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and 1 Lavender Orpington )

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I'm excited to have fresh eggs and get to know the chicken's personalities. I've spent hours watching videos, reading books and sorting through this site. I think I will genuinely enjoy having the girls as productive pets.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I enjoy doing pottery in the winter time and spend as much time as I can outside in the summer. I love kayaking, fishing, mushroom hunting and getting out on the ocean!
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My guy and I just moved into a new house in Soldotna, AK at the end of November. I've lived on the Kenai Peninsula my entire life and absolutely love it here. We have a little under 13 acres and are excited to start raising chickens and 3 Weaner pigs. We have a 10 year old 3 legged boxer with the sweetest personality, I love our senior dog! We currently don't have any children but are hopfully going to start a family in the next year or so 🤞
I work at a local hospital taking as an X-Ray technologist and genuinely enjoy my job.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I did a lot of research when we were deciding if chickens were a good fit for our family. Many of my google searches lead me to this website and I'm loving how helpful everyone is! I decided to actually join last night to ask about my misery "Barred Rock" chick and I had several helpful responses in less than an hour! Such a wonderful community!

Back
Top Bottom