Bulcaoma

Chirping
Feb 20, 2024
Mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon
Good evening,

I am new to raising chickens. I am 1 whole week into raising 18 baby chicks after planning to get them for a year. They vary in age now from about 2-3 weeks old-all from Wilco. The breeds are 2 of each: Dominant Copper, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Cuckoo Marans, Cream Legbar, Speckled Sussex, Color pack blue, Blue Andalusian, and Black Silkie. I might have gotten carried away for a newbie 😂

I was nervous about telling them apart and put a leg band on one of each pair, but have found that physically and behaviorally I can already tell them all apart. I enjoy watching how each breed and individual is different and am excited to see how they grow.

We live on a good sized property in rural Oregon, so while not a 'backyard', these chickens are pets and future egg suppliers for our family and friends. We purchased the home that my husband grew up on that was a working cattle ranch. It hasn't had animals for decades, so we've been mainly updating and demoing the worn buildings and fences, and adding gardens for the last 2 years. We have 1 doodle dog as well. The last of our 4 kids is headed to college in the fall, so instead of emptying the nest, it looks like I'll fill it back up with animals 👍.

My husband and I are self employed, so scheduling can be either hectic or flexible ar any given time.

I discovered this site from googling all my questions in preparation. Most answers were from here. I look forward to learning from the experiences of others in this group.

Good evening,

I am new to raising chickens. I am 1 whole week into raising 18 baby chicks after planning to get them for a year. They vary in age now from about 2-3 weeks old-all from Wilco. The breeds are 2 of each: Dominant Copper, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Cuckoo Marans, Cream Legbar, Speckled Sussex, Color pack blue, Blue Andalusian, and Black Silkie. I might have gotten carried away for a newbie 😂

I was nervous about telling them apart and put a leg band on one of each pair, but have found that physically and behaviorally I can already tell them all apart. I enjoy watching how each breed and individual is different and am excited to see how they grow.

We live on a good sized property in rural Oregon, so while not a 'backyard', these chickens are pets and future egg suppliers for our family and friends. We purchased the home that my husband grew up on that was a working cattle ranch. It hasn't had animals for decades, so we've been mainly updating and demoing the worn buildings and fences, and adding gardens for the last 2 years. We have 1 doodle dog as well. The last of our 4 kids is headed to college in the fall, so instead of emptying the nest, it looks like I'll fill it back up with animals 👍.

My husband and I are self employed, so scheduling can be either hectic or flexible ar any given time.

I discovered this site from googling all my questions in preparation. Most answers were from here. I look forward to learning from the experiences of others in this group.
Welcome to the BYC! And congratulations on the chickens! This is a great community for any level of chicken keepers to ask questions, learn and overall celebrate and enjoy chickens and backyarding lol. Those are some beautiful breeds you picked and you'll get a variety of egg colors💕

Nice to meet you. I wish I'd had the chance to get so many different chickens. Living in the city I'm
Nice to meet you. I wish I'd had the chance to get so many different chickens. Living in the city I'm limited to 8 hens. We'd love some pictures.
No good pics yet. All red due to heat lamp or blurry since I'm holding them in one hand and taking pics with other. 😂 Soon👍

Back
Top Bottom