New Way to Hard Boil Eggs

msmidwick

Songster
6 Years
Jun 29, 2017
I found this recipe on Facebook awhile back. Finally got to try it. It works! And, the shells are much easier to peel. I was boiling the eggs with a teaspoon of baking soda to soften that membrane on the egg. But, by baking them the membrane is not a problem. See the attached picture. I am not so good at attaching files, so forgive me!
Just in case - put a raw egg in each of the 12 spots in a muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 325 degree oven. 246352380_433304144822396_2365474981736703683_n.jpg

I found this recipe on Facebook awhile back. Finally got to try it. It works! And, the shells are much easier to peel. I was boiling the eggs with a teaspoon of baking soda to soften that membrane on the egg. But, by baking them the membrane is not a problem. See the attached picture. I am not so good at attaching files, so forgive me!
Just in case - put a raw egg in each of the 12 spots in a muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 325 degree oven. View attachment 2891930

That's interesting, I haven't seen that method before. Next time I have a bunch of extra eggs, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

To save energy and not heat the house when the A/C is already taxed to the limit , boil only enough water to nearly cover the eggs to be boiled . While the water is boiling ladle the eggs in and boil for 2-3 minutes . We do 2 minutes .

During cold weather allow the eggs to cool within the water in the house until room temperature . If the weather is hot and A/C is on cool , remove the container of water and eggs to the garage or other safe space out of the conditioned area and allow to cool to room temperature . Now fresh eggs can successfully be peeled without any of the other steps like adding baking soda , bathing in ice water , saying a prayer or any of that other good stuff .

Just in case - put a raw egg in each of the 12 spots in a muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 325 degree oven. View attachment 2891930

Do you bathe the eggs in cold water? Put them in the fridge for X minutes before peeling? Or do you let them cool down to room temperature? What do you do to safely peel them without burning your fingers, after taking them out of the oven?

Do you pre-heat the oven ?

The reason i ask is my take on success with this whole peeling thing is rapid expansion of the shell which pulls the inner and outer membranes from the Chalaza . This all takes place within a few seconds when the cold egg is placed in boiling water and what takes place after that doesn't have much to do with ease of peeling .

Do you pre-heat the oven ?

The reason i ask is my take on success with this whole peeling thing is rapid expansion of the shell which pulls the inner and outer membranes from the Chalaza . This all takes place within a few seconds when the cold egg is placed in boiling water and what takes place after that doesn't have much to do with ease of peeling .

Doesn't the egg risk cracking open when you put cold eggs into boiling water?

Doesn't the egg risk cracking open when you put cold eggs into boiling water?
Occasionally one may crack and even rupture for a better word , with some Chalaza expelled , but that makes little difference unless the eggs are being prepared to take as deviled eggs etc. to a function .

That's where the wife says they must be pretty . In potato salad or egg salad sandwiches it makes no difference . The benefit of dropping the cold refrigerated eggs into boiling water , allowing to boil 2 minutes then to cool in the water to room temperature is well worth a occasional cracked egg or even one that ruptured slightly .

The reason only 2 minutes boiling works is they complete the cooking process while cooling down in the hot water . This takes awhile but she has plenty to do in the meantime .:D

Occasionally one may crack and even rupture for a better word , with some Chalaza expelled , but that makes little difference unless the eggs are being prepared to take as deviled eggs etc. to a function .

That's where the wife says they must be pretty . In potato salad or egg salad sandwiches it makes no difference . The benefit of dropping the cold refrigerated eggs into boiling water , allowing to boil 2 minutes then to cool in the water to room temperature is well worth a occasional cracked egg or even one that ruptured slightly .

The reason only 2 minutes boiling works is they complete the cooking process while cooling down in the hot water . This takes awhile but she has plenty to do in the meantime .:D

Ah ok!

For my part I put my oldest eggs (ranging from two weeks old to month-old cold refrigerated eggs, depending on how fast I consume them) in the pot and bring the water to a boil. Once the water boils I lower the heat to medium (half-power), put the lid sideways on the pot and set the timer to 15 minutes. After that I take the pan off the stove and drain the scalding water into the sink. I then turn on the cold tap water and douse my eggs (still inside the pot) with it for a solid minute, with the overflowing water evacuating extra heat. Lastly I re-fil the pot with cold water and set the timer to 5 minutes.

By then the eggs are cool enough that I can peel them without burning my fingers. Flat-ended eggs are not something that bothers me, in fact I take advantage of old eggs' big air pockets to crack them open without damaging the cooked egg whites. (I gently smash the hard-boiled eggs round tip down on a wet paper towel, then smash the pointy tip likewise, before rolling the eggs across the surface to crack the shell all over the sides. Then I come back to the round tip and start peeling from there, as i know my nails will not dig into the egg thanks to the air pocket. Once the egg is open I work my way down the shell until the egg is completely peeled.) The membranes stick, sometimes, but I have a small bowl of water beside me which I use to wet them into sliding off the egg whites without too much problem. I also use the water bowl to wash the peeled eggs, to get off any lingering shell bits.

I've remarked that white, blue and cream-colored eggs usually peel well (~85% success rate), while the green and brown ones, not so much (~55% success rate) Sometimes the peeled egg shells take egg chunks with them, leaving me with holed egg whites, though I'm able to salvage some eggs if I peel them in the water bowl just right. For this reason, I boil more eggs than I need (ex; 7 eggs for a 6 egg recipe), this way I have enough pretty ones for the meal(s) I am making. Unfortunately the method I use does not prevent green yolks, as hard-boiling the eggs less than 15 minutes results in non-finished cooked yolks. Damaged eggs go to the chickens as a treat as I remarked a slight difference in texture if put into a salad. Green yolks don't bother me, but deviled eggs do look better with yellow yolks when I receive guests so I keep an eye out for successful alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom