New Way to Hard Boil Eggs

Boiled egg funny .

I had read the method i /we use on the net . That's kind of funny .

But the real funny was when i told the wife about what i'd read she came to see and help with this new discovery . So she gets an idea to speed the process by peeling the largest half then peeling a small spot on the small end being sure the membranes were removed there . Her next step was to blow on the small opening at the end allowing air pressure to remove the complete egg from the remaining half shell . That worked so well the egg shot out of the shell half , traveling completely across the work counter . :thumbsup IIR it hit something on the counter preventing it from sliding off and onto the floor . She doesn't do that anymore and i've tried but i just don't have that skill it seems .

Boiled egg funny .

I had read the method i /we use on the net . That's kind of funny .

But the real funny was when i told the wife about what i'd read she came to see and help with this new discovery . So she gets an idea to speed the process by peeling the largest half then peeling a small spot on the small end being sure the membranes were removed there . Her next step was to blow on the small opening at the end allowing air pressure to remove the complete egg from the remaining half shell . That worked so well the egg shot out of the shell half , traveling completely across the work counter . :thumbsup IIR it hit something on the counter preventing it from sliding off and onto the floor . She doesn't do that anymore and i've tried but i just don't have that skill it seems .
I will make sure to have a deep bowl to receive any shooting eggs if i ever try this method! xDD

I will make sure to have a deep bowl to receive any shooting eggs if i ever try this method! xDD

Ah ok!

For my part I put my oldest eggs (ranging from two weeks old to month-old cold refrigerated eggs, depending on how fast I consume them) in the pot and bring the water to a boil. Once the water boils I lower the heat to medium (half-power), put the lid sideways on the pot and set the timer to 15 minutes. After that I take the pan off the stove and drain the scalding water into the sink. I then turn on the cold tap water and douse my eggs (still inside the pot) with it for a solid minute, with the overflowing water evacuating extra heat. Lastly I re-fil the pot with cold water and set the timer to 5 minutes.

By then the eggs are cool enough that I can peel them without burning my fingers. Flat-ended eggs are not something that bothers me, in fact I take advantage of old eggs' big air pockets to crack them open without damaging the cooked egg whites. (I gently smash the hard-boiled eggs round tip down on a wet paper towel, then smash the pointy tip likewise, before rolling the eggs across the surface to crack the shell all over the sides. Then I come back to the round tip and start peeling from there, as i know my nails will not dig into the egg thanks to the air pocket. Once the egg is open I work my way down the shell until the egg is completely peeled.) The membranes stick, sometimes, but I have a small bowl of water beside me which I use to wet them into sliding off the egg whites without too much problem. I also use the water bowl to wash the peeled eggs, to get off any lingering shell bits.

I've remarked that white, blue and cream-colored eggs usually peel well (~85% success rate), while the green and brown ones, not so much (~55% success rate) Sometimes the peeled egg shells take egg chunks with them, leaving me with holed egg whites, though I'm able to salvage some eggs if I peel them in the water bowl just right. For this reason, I boil more eggs than I need (ex; 7 eggs for a 6 egg recipe), this way I have enough pretty ones for the meal(s) I am making. Unfortunately the method I use does not prevent green yolks, as hard-boiling the eggs less than 15 minutes results in non-finished cooked yolks. Damaged eggs go to the chickens as a treat as I remarked a slight difference in texture if put into a salad. Green yolks don't bother me, but deviled eggs do look better with yellow yolks when I receive guests so I keep an eye out for successful alternatives.
If time is paramount , then yes , longer boil time and quick cooling to prevent finger burning is the way.

Time at our house isn't usually a consideration because we try to keep at least a dozen + boiled eggs in the shell refrigerated at all times .

I found this recipe on Facebook awhile back. Finally got to try it. It works! And, the shells are much easier to peel. I was boiling the eggs with a teaspoon of baking soda to soften that membrane on the egg. But, by baking them the membrane is not a problem. See the attached picture. I am not so good at attaching files, so forgive me!
Just in case - put a raw egg in each of the 12 spots in a muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 325 degree oven. View attachment 2891930
🤔Just wondering why on earth anybody would want to triple the time and cost of energy to make boiled eggs?

I found this recipe on Facebook awhile back. Finally got to try it. It works! And, the shells are much easier to peel. I was boiling the eggs with a teaspoon of baking soda to soften that membrane on the egg. But, by baking them the membrane is not a problem. See the attached picture. I am not so good at attaching files, so forgive me!
Just in case - put a raw egg in each of the 12 spots in a muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 325 degree oven. View attachment 2891930
Oh my goodness- I just asked how to do this! Your post didn’t pop out on the first search… so can I refrigerate them?

Pre-heat the oven --Yes or No ?

For time being we'll continue to place cold eggs into boiling water , boil about 2 min. then allow to set and cool until they can be peeled without burning the hands . I's not uncommon for boiled eggs to stay in the refrigerator until needed .

Back
Top Bottom