New way to use chicken manure in hydroponics

PrettyBeaks

Chirping
Jul 18, 2020
There is a way to process chicken manure for use in hydroponics. You can build a device with parts purchased from any hardware store. The device is called a "biological reactor". This bio-reactor converts manure to nitrate-rich liquid. Chicken manure also possesses potassium and phosphorus, the two other essential macronutrients for growing plants. I have built and successfully used one to grow collard greens, and posted it on my website. I'm hoping others will take interest in this self-sufficiency project and join me in the experiment. Check it out: https://chickenaquaponics.com/

collard greens.jpg

BioReactor.jpg

I'm not familiar with the aquarium filter you are referencing, so I can't draw a comparison. However, there are fish-based systems that operate under the same principle and by the same name. Fish-based aquaponics converts fish poo to nitrates in the same way as this system. With chickens, it only takes one chicken to produce as much nutrient as many, many fish; therefore the operating cost is much less. Also, if the nutrient water "goes bad", the fish will obviously die, but the chicken won't be affected. This makes the system ideal for most people because it does not require a large degree of skill or experience.

I'm not familiar with the aquarium filter you are referencing, so I can't draw a comparison. However, there are fish-based systems that operate under the same principle and by the same name. Fish-based aquaponics converts fish poo to nitrates in the same way as this system. With chickens, it only takes one chicken to produce as much nutrient as many, many fish; therefore the operating cost is much less. Also, if the nutrient water "goes bad", the fish will obviously die, but the chicken won't be affected. This makes the system ideal for most people because it does not require a large degree of skill or experience.
Ok, that's what I was thinking. Basically creating a place for bacteria to live so they can convert amonia -> Nitrites -> Nitrates and then letting the plants clean the nitrates out of the water.

Thanks for the clarification. I will probably look into that system once I get some time to do so.

I think what you are doing is very innovative. I watched your videos on YouTube and I'm guessing that maybe you live in a tropical climate where it is relatively warm all year long? I'm guessing this because of how you built the battery cages. It is just one chicken per cage. In a cold climate the chickens would need to huddle at night to conserve warmth. Also, for this system to appeal more to the average backyard "chickener", I'm wondering if the battery cages are needed at all? The chickens only lay eggs during the day when they are awake and not in the cages. The only thing the cages are for is for nighttime poop collection. So, in my mind, the cages may not be necessary at all as long as they have a roost that is directly over the water containers and the water containers have a mesh or hardware cloth covering the openings. This would save money on construction as well, which I'm also guessing is important if it is to be for people who don't have a lot of money in the first place. I'm going to definitely follow this, even though I am completely stupid when it comes to aquaponics!

I think what you are doing is very innovative. I watched your videos on YouTube and I'm guessing that maybe you live in a tropical climate where it is relatively warm all year long? I'm guessing this because of how you built the battery cages. It is just one chicken per cage. In a cold climate the chickens would need to huddle at night to conserve warmth. Also, for this system to appeal more to the average backyard "chickener", I'm wondering if the battery cages are needed at all? The chickens only lay eggs during the day when they are awake and not in the cages. The only thing the cages are for is for nighttime poop collection. So, in my mind, the cages may not be necessary at all as long as they have a roost that is directly over the water containers and the water containers have a mesh or hardware cloth covering the openings. This would save money on construction as well, which I'm also guessing is important if it is to be for people who don't have a lot of money in the first place. I'm going to definitely follow this, even though I am completely stupid when it comes to aquaponics!

Thank you for your kinds words and interest in our experiment.

We do live in an Asian country that is quite warm year-round. Like clockwork, I remove the chickens from their pens by 6am. For the past year, we've collected their eggs from the battery at that time.

Our experiment is a "real-time" project. In other words, you are able to watch our project evolve as we make mistakes and improvements. The last video in the series explains that we are moving away from the battery design.

It's been a challenge to build the new system, get it to cycle, and effectively draw nutrient water for the hydro system, but we are almost done and plan to release the video explanation soon. It is much less complicated and more cost-affordable.

Last edited:
This is awesome! How’s it going?
im making a simple aerobic compost tea w some of my chicken manure but this would be amazing for hydroponics!!
We've been successful. With no added nutrients, we were able to grow collards at 50% standard size. By supplementing with nutrients used in fish based aquaponics, we can grow large healthy greens.

Back
Top Bottom