New way to use chicken manure in hydroponics

I would like to be able to control the amount of nutrients and I am a little worried about bacteria
True. It would be much harder to do once it is in a perpetually wet state. Still, I don't see how that's much different than what the OP has proposed. You might have to be the tester and report back to everyone how it went.

True. It would be much harder to do once it is in a perpetually wet state. Still, I don't see how that's much different than what the OP has proposed. You might have to be the tester and report back to everyone how it went.
I am going to build a small system and test the OP has given me the idea of trying it.I still in the design stage and gathering the material need

I know this is a old post and wondering if there is any updates? I am going to build myself a small system to give this idea a go. I am doing well with my current system but I am cheep and if I can stop buying nutrients would make me happy I would do the fish thing but they have to be feed too I have chickens so the cost wouldn't be any more because I feed my chickens any ways
Thank you for your interest in our project. The project was to see if we could grow greens from biologically processed manure; and the project was a success. Because we achieved our goal, we've not added further posts. That being said; the results were great for the endemically poor families we work with, in Asia. However, the greens were stunted in comparison to what a person might expect in a U.S. grocery store. While they were healthy and quite nutritious, they were about 1/2 the size of their potential. Now we are adding small amounts of iron chelate, calcium, and magnesium, and achieving great results. For a person like you, who is interested in this technology, I would encourage you to try the experiment. It will reduce your nutrient expenses.

Last edited:
I under stand where your coming from but I like growing my tomato's and peppers by hydroponic. its a whole different way of growing and where I live in florida I like the taste of hydro tomato"s and peppers
There is a misconception that one might be able to "throw manure" into your hydroponic system and grow great plants. The fact is that the bio-reactor converts manure ammonia into nitrates, and the process removes pathogens. You might be able to throw manure by-products (such as "drippings") into your hydro and get plants to grow, but you're also risking a number of health concerns; let alone the horrendous smell. The bio-conversion process removes the bacteria that produce the manure stench. I'd rather discourage you from using manure in hydro, if you don't bio-process it first. BTW, our design is complicated, because we engineered it to be low maintenance. I know of 5 individuals around the world that are using our same principles, but with much simpler designs. The downside of their designs is that it requires more maintenance, with the added benefit of costing less to implement. If you are to make a go of this for yourself, I would recommend using a low-cost, simpler design until you are confident and want to make the greater investment.

There is a misconception that one might be able to "throw manure" into your hydroponic system and grow great plants. The fact is that the bio-reactor converts manure ammonia into nitrates, and the process removes pathogens. You might be able to throw manure by-products (such as "drippings") into your hydro and get plants to grow, but you're also risking a number of health concerns; let alone the horrendous smell. The bio-conversion process removes the bacteria that produce the manure stench. I'd rather discourage you from using manure in hydro, if you don't bio-process it first. BTW, our design is complicated, because we engineered it to be low maintenance. I know of 5 individuals around the world that are using our same principles, but with much simpler designs. The downside of their designs is that it requires more maintenance, with the added benefit of costing less to implement. If you are to make a go of this for yourself, I would recommend using a low-cost, simpler design until you are confident and want to make the greater investment.
And so then we go full circle to my assertion that it's probably not worth the effort given that you can achieve reasonably similar results with less work.

FWIW, in some Asian countries, tilapia (aka: garbage fish) are fed manure as a food supplement with no ill effects. In fact, studies have found that fish size increased as a result. Definitely not my thing, but just putting that information out there to think about.

And so then we go full circle to my assertion that it's probably not worth the effort given that you can achieve reasonably similar results with less work.

FWIW, in some Asian countries, tilapia (aka: garbage fish) are fed manure as a food supplement with no ill effects. In fact, studies have found that fish size increased as a result. Definitely not my thing, but just putting that information out there to think about.
Depends on the circumstances and purpose for growing. If you're growing some tomatoes in your backyard for your family, in most US regions, of course, it would be overkill to design an AP system. However, if you're growing to support your family's daily produce needs 100%, 365, or to sell products in the market, the HP and AP systems are much more efficient. The evidence is in the fact that commercial growers are moving to both HP and AP.

There is less concern about ground contamination, insects, animals contaminating and consuming, need for insecticide, centralized nutrient management, water conservation, much higher yield......and the list goes on. An HP and AP garden will far outperform any dirt garden, with fewer consequences. Yes, there is much more infrastructure investment and daily expenses, but the ROI is realized in a short amount of time.

Additionally, if we only think about our environment in the US, we forget that others live in rocky landscapes, steep mountains, or arid deserts. Aquatic horticultural systems provide big opportunities for people born into circumstances that would otherwise preclude them from growing fresh produce.

We have chickens, and so we also have chicken droppings. We have also started hydroponic gardening. To match the two I have been trying to formulate a liquid composting system to use fresh Chicken poop to compost into liquid fertilizer without drying and then rehydrating again. I am concerned about pathogens such as E Coli, Salmonella and cryptosporidium, some of these require up to 160 deg F to kill them or else be dried out to kill these bacteria. How are you addressing this safety factor? Does any portion of your system get hot enough in your environment to remedy this aspect of composting?

Back
Top Bottom