Newbie - Weather and Outdoor Chicks

SoCalSurf

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2024
We have four chicks now that are 5 weeks old. Coop and run just got completed and they spent all day in it yesterday until I brought them back into the garage for the night. SoCal - High 40s at night. They seem to be doing fine inside. No brooder heater anymore and I haven't been heating the garage at night so I'm assuming they are ok to make it outside but it's going to be the same temps for the next few nights. Just looking for opinions on if they should be ok or not. I'm not worried about having to bring them in the next week or so at night until it warms up and they get used to it but they seem to love it in their new home.

The weather is a little chillier here in Tennessee, but we don’t put our chicks outside until they are fully feathered. Of course, my wife’s grandmother would buy 100 chickens, put them in the coop, and wish them good luck. :)

At 5 weeks old if they are not in any breezes and don't get rained on they should handle the upper 40's Fahrenheit easily. If you want to put them out during the day and bring them in at night, nothing wrong with that. You will not hurt them doing that.

If you are going to be worried if they are out them by all means bring them in. There is no reason for you to stress about it. You and your stress levels are important too. You are supposed to enjoy the chickens, not worry about them. They will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom