Newly hatched chick with neurological issues?

Addison E

Hatching
May 5, 2024
It hatched yesterday which was day 25 of incubation. When it hatched the humidity was pretty low, because I didn’t think anything could hatch that late. When I found it, it was laying upside down. When I put it right side up, it tries to move it only moves to the left and falls on its back. I tried get him to eat and drink, but he only drank a bit.
(4 other chicks hatched on day 19-21 and are completely normal and feel free to ask more questions)

Attachments

• 71C74CC2-CACB-4ECB-984C-98E4E1139DBE.jpeg
    71C74CC2-CACB-4ECB-984C-98E4E1139DBE.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined.

When they hatch that late there is usually a reason that is not good. There is a good chance it may not make it.

But you can try. if you take a pippette or medicine dropper and put a drop of sweet liquid on its beak it might drink it. Do not put it down its throat as you could drown it. Keep giving it more as long as it will drink it.

Many people use electrolytes or "boosters" they can get at a feed store or from a hatchery. Some people use sugar water, dissolve some sugar in water to give to it. I use hummingbird liquid. The idea is that the liquid hydrates it but also gives it instant energy. The hope is that it gets enough energy to be able to eat and drink on its own. Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not.

Good luck!

It hatched yesterday which was day 25 of incubation. When it hatched the humidity was pretty low, because I didn’t think anything could hatch that late. When I found it, it was laying upside down. When I put it right side up, it tries to move it only moves to the left and falls on its back. I tried get him to eat and drink, but he only drank a bit.
(4 other chicks hatched on day 19-21 and are completely normal and feel free to ask more questions)
Poor baby...
Is the chick still alive? If so, I would recommend you feed him this chick saver mixture in the video down below. Best wishes to you...

He's/she's still finding it's legs. I've had chicks hatch between 21-25 days in incubator, & under broody hens.

I've had chicks that have hatched on time that's ended up on their backs. I just flip them back over to assist them to get them to use their feet properly. I help them each time it happens.

Little update, he’s not falling on his back as much, he’s able to move to the right, and seems a little more active.
And he just ate a little bit of food on his own!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom