Hamiam

Crowing
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Cottondale, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
image.jpg
Since Texas is so big, several people have mentioned starting a thread for the different areas. I'll continue following the Texas thread & hope you will too. This thread may make it easier to find people in your area of Texas. When searching to determine if one has already been started for North Texas, I didn't find one. I did find one for "East Texas?".

I live in the DFW area. My husband & I took a 12 year break from raising chickens after we moved from acreage in Arlington to a lake property in Azle. We moved to Cottondale, near Paradise & now have plenty of room for chickens & more. I've only raised Barred Rocks in the past but my husband talked me into trying new breeds. We now have juvenile Black Australorps & Golden Sexlinks. We are almost finished with our chicken tractor & next will work on a large stationary coop. Someday I would also like to have ducks. Someone here on BYC asked me if I have green eggs & since my last name is Ham, I thought "GREAT IDEA"! So, soon I will be on the hunt for the breed that lays the greenish eggs!

Where are you in North Texas & tell us about yourself.

I've seen that Cackle Hatchery breeds their own line of Easter Eggers. Then there's the Americaunas and the Aracaunas that are pretty easy to find. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting EEs myself.

I'm in Arlington myself and a new member. >waves< Hi y'all!

I have 2 month old chickens. Black Australorp, red sex links, Easter Eggers, Delaware, and Ideal 236 hybrid layer. All came from Ideal Hatchery as day old chicks in June. I ordered 25, raised them without losses, and sold my excess to a few neighbors as young replacement layer pullets. Made a tidy profit, :yesss:if you don't count the coop and labor. :oops: Which I know I would if it was a business and not just a way to defray costs of my own flock.

What's y'all's story?

Dallas here... Anyone from Dallas area?
I live closer to Decatur. I have a cousin that lives in Irving. She recently mailed me an article that was in the paper about a man in the Dallas area that puts one of his chickens in a stroller & takes her for daily walks. I
I've got one red sexlink hen that is in love with my side by side 4 wheeler. She loves riding in it & will chase after it to try & get on. I've never seen such craziness. Tell us about your flock!

I have 2 month old chickens. Black Australorp, red sex links, Easter Eggers, Delaware, and Ideal 236 hybrid layer. All came from Ideal Hatchery as day old chicks in June. I ordered 25, raised them without losses, and sold my excess to a few neighbors as young replacement layer pullets. Made a tidy profit, :yesss:if you don't count the coop and labor. :oops: Which I know I would if it was a business and not just a way to defray costs of my own flock.

What's y'all's story?

What breeds & how many did you keep?

I'm just starting my business. I thought I would sell eggs but have discovered there are way too many egg sellers out this way. So, I've decided to raise pullets until egg laying age then sell as layers. Right now, I have 6 red sexlinks laying & my 6 Black Australorps are acting like they will start laying soon. We will start building a large chicken barn soon. I need a place to keep the different age groups separate. We have fenced in 4 acres for daytime foraging & would like to separate this into smaller sections to handle different groups. Right now the 12 pullets are loving all the room to roam. I still want a group of olive eggers & isbars for the green eggs.

Hamian,
have you checked Craigslist to see how many people are in that business too? I'm not doing this as a business but for more pleasure and have my little one be exposed to what I grew up experiencing it. They usually have a better appreciation of where their food comes from.

Back
Top Bottom