October 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics

AusHen

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 21, 2018
QLD Australia
That's right, October Hatch-A-Long is up!
I'm going to start collecting eggs from a few pens
Pen #1 is Silkie roosters over Silkies, plus some cream and blue/green laying bantam cross hens
Pen #2 Is my "blue egg pen" pet quality Araucana that lay a nice blue egg but don't fit the SOP.
pen #3 Is the most sweetest "home made" OE rooster in with a few of my hens that I haven't moved into their own flocks yet. I'm going to incubate the browns to see if any daughters lay green, if so I might get some green speckled eggs from them 🤞
*Araucanas are UK/AU/NZ standard*

Two of my Muscovy are also broody so I might get some ducklings, plus I might throw in some Welsummer and Marans eggs in the incubators if I have room

I'm in! First timer here!

Lord willing hatching some Columbian Wyandottes and Easter Egger/Columbian Wyandotte mixes. Also a chance for a Welsummer/Columbian Wyandotte mix. I have a Salmon Faverolles' egg in the bator too, but there's a good chance it's not fertilized*

*Here's the deal:
I have 1 cockerel (Columbian Wyandotte) and 94 girls... the cockerel lives in a pen with 14 girls at night and then ranges with the others during the day usually (I've had him locked up a bit recently with girls I wanted fertilized for sure, but he's still gotten time with the other part of the flock.) So anyhow, a few of the eggs are from hens not directly from his flock. Hopefully the rest are his flock's eggs.

Just set them a little while ago. I have 14.

20210911_140528.jpg

1 dozen eggs from pen #2 go in the incubator today. also throwing in some from my Araucana cross that's in there
Going to start collecting some eggs from Pen 1 and 3 for myself now to go in the incubators in a few days.
I also decided to order some Welsummers from the breeder I hatched my favourite hen from, also included are a few potential frizzle olive eggers for my sons pen

PXL_20210912_202627751.jpg

Fourteen more eggs started today. All from blue ameraucanas! My trusty blue rooster is probably six years old now but he has such a docile temperament I feel it's worth it to keep breeding him.

These are the first I've hatched for myself in a very long time due to having a baby last year. Finally feeling up to caring for baby chicks in addition lol

Got my eggs in the mail (less than 24hr in the mail). It's spring here so birds are coming back on the lay but his frizzles with the Marans rooster cant work out if they wanted to lay or not so I got three, two that could be OE (and frizzle) and the little peach/cream egg that will be a brown/tan smooth or frizzle. The rest are Welsummer.
20210914_145258.jpg

Got my eggs in the mail (less than 24hr in the mail). It's spring here so birds are coming back on the lay but his frizzles with the Marans rooster cant work out if they wanted to lay or not so I got three, two that could be OE (and frizzle) and the little peach/cream egg that will be a brown/tan smooth or frizzle. The rest are Welsummer.
View attachment 2832967
Wow! Those are some gorgeous Welsummer eggs!

Back
Top Bottom