Official BYC Poll: Are Chickens Easier or Harder To Raise Than Dogs/Cats?

Are Chickens Easier or Harder To Raise Than Dogs/Cats?

• Less work than dogs

Votes: 144 62.1%
  • Less work than cats

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • About the same work as dogs

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • About the same work as cats

Votes: 42 18.1%
  • More work than dogs

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • More work than cats

Votes: 80 34.5%

• Total voters
If you have a hen volunteering to be the mother, then there is hardly any work at all! She keeps them warm, so no need for a heat lamp, and she teaches them what they need to know.

I hope to have a broody raise some chicks this year. I had one last year but didn't have space to let her do any hatching because the new coop was slower getting built than we'd hoped. :)

Until you have my one stray cat you have no idea what I go through every day. Hubby does not help me. Our youngster thinks the boxes are hers only. Think of the worst with the boxes and she does it. She doesn't want the other cats using the boxes. She Noel keeps the other three from using the boxes. The two girls are sorta friends now :idunno

Noel is now three. She came meowing and hubby just had to feed her. She belonged to someone else and found our place late at night like someone might of dropped her off. She had already been fixed the vet told us and showed us the scar. People drop cats off here for years now even before we moved here. Two girls never get along. Even my two dogs I had as a child mother and daughter did not. I've put one box in another room and she still does the same thing. My 10 year old that showed up here after we moved here is the one Noel seems to bother the worse.

The worse I found the boxes when I first get up is litter all around on the floor like someone like Noel keeping Button out of the box. This just gets better and better every day and you just look at the mess and just know I do know who did it because of Noel. I try to make sure Noel is on the deck when it is time for the others to use it. 😢

I will have to say my chickens are better than my cat Noel.

It's inhumane to leave a female dog unaltered (a male is a different story.) Female dogs can have up to 14 litters in her lifetime. 1-12 puppies can be in a single litter. It's also wise to vaccinate your dogs. Wanna deal with a rabid dog? Don't think so. And it's not a big deal if a rooster mates with a hen. Who cares if they're eggs get fertilized? If your neighbors unaltered female dog get pregnant, somebody's gone be in some deep shit. Just saying. Having so many puppies can actually kill the mother.
I have rarely altered my dogs. Never had but one unexpected litter of pups in 65 years. We were planning on them just not as soon.
And like i said vaccinating them may be a little different. Although none of the many dogs i had as a child up till after i got out of the service were vaccinated.

I have rarely altered my dogs. Never had but one unexpected litter of pups in 65 years. We were planning on them just not as soon.
And like i said vaccinating them may be a little different. Although none of the many dogs i had as a child up till after i got out of the service were vaccinated.
...NO JUDGEMENT HERE, NOR ADVISING ANYTHING... JUST SAYING...
Unaltered male dogs, not used for breeding purposes have a possibility of developing prostate cancer, and not to forget... a male is a male is a male.... When intact, the urge (hormones) to "reproduce/mate/breed" is always there.
Is it fair to the intact male, of any species, to have those hormonal urges and not be able to perform as intended...
I am in NO way judging or advising in either direction...
I believe, people should be able to do what they want to with their own pets as long as they are responsible and loving... It's just food for thought.

...NO JUDGEMENT HERE, NOR ADVISING ANYTHING... JUST SAYING...
Unaltered male dogs, not used for breeding purposes have a possibility of developing prostate cancer, and not to forget... a male is a male is a male.... When intact, the urge (hormones) to "reproduce/mate/breed" is always there.
Is it fair to the intact male, of any species, to have those hormonal urges and not be able to perform as intended...
I am in NO way judging or advising in either direction...
I believe, people should be able to do what they want to with their own pets as long as they are responsible and loving... It's just food for thought.
I am going to send your reply to my wife. LOL

Back
Top Bottom